Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK to install 13.10 and update?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: OK to install 13.10 and update?

Unity feels like a web browser? It's just a dock...just like your xubuntu has...and with a dock, you put on your favorites and frequently used apps for quick 1 click access..rarely used apps are easily brought up in the dash search...that is how most of us use it...

The dash search is very fast especially if you turn off the online search...but i would imagine what makes you like xubuntu better is it has that old style "fan out" apps menu rather then a quick search to bring up apps...personally, i always found that old fan out way to be rather inefficient...but if you like it better...enjoy...
    Last edited by craig10x; October 16th, 2013 at 06:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Ya it feels like a web browser with Amazon glued to it. Don't know how to explain it, but It's not my cup of tea.

After using and looking at Ubuntu GNOME, I agree Xubuntu is inefficient and maybe a bit dated but that's being harsh, my new flavor of choice is Ubuntu GNOME 13.10 hands down.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by hhWnd8K View Post
    Ya it feels like a web browser with Amazon glued to it. Don't know how to explain it, but It's not my cup of tea.

After using and looking at Ubuntu GNOME, I agree Xubuntu is inefficient and maybe a bit dated but that's being harsh, my new flavor of choice is Ubuntu GNOME 13.10 hands down.
    I may not agree with all that you said but I do prefer Ubuntu Gnome over Unity.

What counts is you been happy with your choice.
    UsingTheTerminal

Smile today, cry tomorrow!
    ( Read this everyday )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Now Gnome has it's own Ubuntu version (rather than just installing default Ubuntu then putting a Gnome desktop on later) it will be interesting to see what people prefer. I prefer 'Ubuntu Gnome' because it is easier to personalise (Gnome Shell Extensions website) and has a less commercial feel. It is also better on a traditional laptop or desktop than the Unity version of Ubuntu. I have been running 13.10 for a week with very few problems. Just open Terminal and run: sudo apt-get update (then) sudo apt-get upgrade daily to keep it updated. Why the last minute rush to download after the official release on the 17th October?
    Last edited by MARP1961; October 17th, 2013 at 09:46 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I downloaded the latest daily build of Ubuntu Gnome last night before bed and it was dated the 17th, so I think it's the the release version. I agree the official flavor of GNOME is much better then doing the roll back GNOME on the main version of Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by MARP1961 View Post
    Now Gnome has it's own Ubuntu version (rather than just installing default Ubuntu then putting a Gnome desktop on later) it will be interesting to see what people prefer. I prefer 'Ubuntu Gnome' because it is easier to personalise (Gnome Shell Extensions website) and has a less commercial feel. It is also better on a traditional laptop or desktop than the Unity version of Ubuntu. I have been running 13.10 for a week with very few problems. Just open Terminal and run: sudo apt-get update (then) sudo apt-get upgrade daily to keep it updated. Why the last minute rush to download after the official release on the 17th October?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu Gnome 13.04 had the Gnome web browser as default. So, anyone who was used to Firefox would have had two web browsers. I have two web browsers. Firefox and Chromium. I have been too lazy to remove Firefox from the Launcher let alone uninstall it completely.

Ubuntu Gnome is what Ubuntu would have looked like if the developers had continued to take whatever the Gnome organisation pushed out without wanting a say in the look of their own distribution. If Gnome.org had allowed Unity code to be patched into the Gnome DE then we may have had Gnome 3 shell with Unity as a Gnome extension selectable at login. And things may have taken a different path.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12