Thread: dependencies

Beans

dependencies

While I'm here I might well ask about another thing:
    There is this Salome, a CAE software, that I wanted to try out, installed one using the Software centre, piece of cake, played with the soft, got some tutorials, decided to upgrade to newer version - not in Soft Centre, so installed manually - HELL, took me two evenings! Zillion of unresolved dependencies! G++ compiler and the likes - I bet the older version uses all of those too - so how come the installation process could not see/find them???

Beans

Re: dependencies

Because you installed it manually.
    If you install manually, then you must also install the dependencies manually.

That's why the Software Center and the Ubuntu Repositories are recommended. The packagers work hard to do all the dependency troubleshooting for you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

or find a PPA repository for latest version and install. or a .deb file.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Is it just me who comes across interesting softwares that are provided as .gz of binaries? No repository, no installer....

Anyway, the obvious academic question: I've a software v.5 installed via software centre and v.6 manually, bth with all dependencies, working just fine. When the time comes and I'll be installing v.7 manually / through soft centre will I have to install those dependencies again or not?

Beans

If manually, it depends entirely upon what the dependencies are, what versions of those dependencies are required, and how many of those specific dependency versions are in the Ubuntu repositories.

You do know, of course, that packages get updated? software v.6 may be in the Ubuntu repositories in 13.10 or 14.04, and that upgrading will overwrite your package-installed v.5?
    Will you then manually uninstall the manually installed v.6?
    Or do you really need two or three different versions of the same software concurrently?

If there is demand for a more-recent version of software, community members are encouraged to package it and publish PPAs. Stable PPAs and backports make recent releases (and fixes) available to everyone.

You create your own installer for a .gz. A Debian installer is different from a Red Hat installer. Of course, an "installer" is quite old mindset, and expecting somebody else to create an installer for your specific system is quite unrealistic. Package management is much more than a simple install/uninstall mechanism. It's also security, bugfixes, reliability, and simplicity.
    Last edited by ian-weisser; October 16th, 2013 at 01:13 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ian-weisser View Post
    If manually, it depends entirely upon what the dependencies are, what versions of those dependencies are required, and how many of those specific dependency versions are in the Ubuntu repositories.

You do know, of course, that packages get updated? software v.6 may be in the Ubuntu repositories in 13.10 or 14.04, and that upgrading will overwrite your package-installed v.5?
    Will you then manually uninstall the manually installed v.6?
    Or do you really need two or three different versions of the same software concurrently?

If there is demand for a more-recent version of software, community members are encouraged to package it and publish PPAs. Stable PPAs and backports make recent releases (and fixes) available to everyone.

You create your own installer for a .gz. A Debian installer is different from a Red Hat installer. Of course, an "installer" is quite old mindset, and expecting somebody else to create an installer for your specific system is quite unrealistic. Package management is much more than a simple install/uninstall mechanism. It's also security, bugfixes, reliability, and simplicity.
    the 6.x version is in debian experimental

backports can easily be made to ubuntu if someone feels the need
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro

basically to avoid headaches and heartaches just find a PPA or wait until there us an update in the software center
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

And if worse comes to worse........sudo apt-get build-dep <package-name> can be your best friend, but this also assume that the repositories contain your software.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Afaik, backporting and upgrading to 7.2 is broken until someone fixes a patch that makes it install in the right place -patch in 6.x is not compatible
    https://launchpad.net/~sandyd/+archi...+build/5109461
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.