Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lenovo g780 no wifi an ethernet port not working on ubuntu 13.04

Beans

Unhappy Lenovo g780 no wifi an ethernet port not working on ubuntu 13.04

hi this will be my first thread so i'll try to explain myself the best i can.

Details:
    lenovo g780 with dualboot ubuntu 13.04 and windows 8
    ubuntu has been installed on uefi mode by the way
    problems:
    The wifi is on i can see my router connection,but when i click on it, it asks me for my password i put in and then it tries to connect but it fails and it just keeps asking me over and over,
    the password is the right one.
    The other issue is the ethernet port wont recognize the data from the ethernet wire.[i managed to get around that with an ethernet to a usb adapter though and that way i get internet working]
    On the windows side i get everything working normal,wifi is good ethernet works ok.

In the past i had on this same computer ubuntu 11.10 12.04 and 12.10 not at the same time though and i still had issues with the wifi,when i was on 12.10 i managed to get wifi working it was super slow i read a post from some guy who had the same computer and he had this codes for the terminal on 12.10

sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb wl brcmfmac brcmsmac bcma

sudo modprobe wl

now the connection would turn off or reset it, and then when it would come back it would be really good super fast, but "there was something really strange for some reason it will hog all the data on the house,therefore any other wifi enable device would suffer from a really slow connection to the wifi until i wiil turn off the wifi or ran the first command above to stop the wifi"

i honestly don't understand why it would make all other device's connections slow but that's what it did, i could not use the wifi because of that, i will **** everybody on the house because i will make their speed go super slow.
    i in fact don't understand most things on linux [ubuntu] or know how to do them but if there is anything that i should do please include the commands that i gotta follow thanks in advance.

p.s.
    this is unrelated to networking but there is another issue that i have on 13.04,whenever i start ubuntu after grub the screen goes black i figure out by luck that by holding fn key an arrows i can restore the screen but it's really annoying if anyone know how i can fix that issue it would be great,but my main concern right now is the networking.
    Last edited by vzkratos; October 14th, 2013 at 05:11 PM. Reason: bad description

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Lenovo g780 no wifi an ethernet port not working on ubuntu 13.04

Hi, copy and paste this command in the terminal (ctrl+alt+t) please:
    Code:
     wget -N -t 5 -T 10 http://dl.dropbox.com/u/57264241/wireless_script && chmod +x wireless_script && ./wireless_script
    It will download a script and create a file named (wireless-info.txt, or wireless-info.txt.tar.gz) in your home folder with wireless information so we can see the condition of your wireless at this time and the Mac address, WPA key and WEP key are removed for your security, then reply back, click on the paper clip and attach the wireless-info.tar.gz file as a zip file.

If you do not have ethernet either then follow the directions at this link for running the script without internet.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12350385
    Thanks

Beans

Talking Re: Lenovo g780 no wifi an ethernet port not working on ubuntu 13.04

thanks for helping
    here we go
    ok so i try to upload the 2 the 1 that is the tar file and the script. it did not allow me to upload the script file the same way i did with the tar now i have a question i'm confused am i supposed to run this commands while connected to an internet connection or without it i got lost on that part, but anyways what i did is i'm hooked to the internet through ethernet to a usb adapter i got internet and ran the commands.
    please let me know what else you need.

thank you again.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Please do:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge --remove bcmwl-kernel-source
    Then:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -rv wl
    sudo modprobe brcmsmac
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

@vzkratos --

I read your PM. My good friend Wild Man has the solution for you. He is as good or better here as anyone and I suggest you follow his solution.
    Chili's Folly: Intel NUC, i3-4010U, 120 GB SSD, 16 GB RAM, external 500 GB HDD, Ubuntu Saucy; small, silent and fast.

Beans

thank you good sir for your support i will try it.

Beans

thanks i will chili godbless you both.
    so thank you

Beans

wildman it didn't work i don't know what happend.
    first command went fine the bcmwl thing got removed
    2 command said FATAL: Module wl not found.
    3 command said nothing just went through
    i'm gonna restart the laptop maybe that updates and fixes the problem.

Beans
    Distro

It should be working, go to network manager and make sure wireless is enabled and see if you can see your network.
    Thanks

Beans

Yes I actually Can see my network, I have tried to connect to my wireless and it just didn't connect. I haven't go to network manager yet but I'll go and make sure that says wireless enable.
    I'm gonna restart the computer when I get back.
    About that message that said fatal module not found,was that Ok or was that a problem.

P.s.
    This was an upgrade from 12.10 to 13.04 wonder if I should do a fresh start and just install 13.04 from the usb stick not run the automatic updates and then once is set and running run your commands.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast