Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cannot boot to Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Cannot boot to Ubuntu?

Here is a screen shot I took on Windows of my partitions. Can I just delete my Ubuntu partition and call it quits for now? Will that disk space just be added to my partition with Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Can I just delete my Ubuntu partition and call it quits for now?
    Yes-

Will that disk space just be added to my partition with Windows?
    No-
    It will just be free space. That's what you can use in the future to create a partition for Linux or whatever you wish.

The highlighted blocks that you mentioned that you don't know what they are; from left to right; is:
    Code:
    the 500 MB Healthy (EFI System) This is the Extensible Firmware Interface Partition
    that your Windows 8 uses to funtion (files that are required to be launched)
    Code:
    the 40 MB partition
    Healthy Partition is associated with your Windows OS
    Code:
    the 500 MB
    Healthy Recovery is your Windows 8 Recovery Partition to recover your Windows 8 should if crash.
    Code:
    this 300 MB Healthy Recovery Partition
    If I had to guess is your Recovery Media that you can burn to several CD's
    And the 7.47 GB Healthy Recovery Partition- I don't know what that is- Sorry

You should consider burning your Recovery Media to DVD/CD.
    "A morning w/o coffee is like something w/o something else"

Voyager 12.04 Xubuntu based on AMD Phenom Quad Core & Fedora on Sony Vaio

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is my experience with 13.10, with similar symptoms. This may help, or not at all.

I had both Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and 13.04 64-bit installed. My motherboard has the following modes for boot: Legacy (that is, BIOS), EFI, or try both. I had set it for both, and by default the computer booted to Ubuntu. In order to access Windows I had to interrupt booting and select the disk to boot from. During the 13.04 installation the installer could not make any sense of the operating systems and I never could get to the menu where I could select which OS to start. Inconvenient, really.

Time for installing 13.10! I hoped that the mess would be sorted out by now. A clean installation, custom partitioning (Windows has its own drive, Ubuntu likewise). Install grub to EFI partition. Proceed with the rest. Oh, could not install grub. Restarting...The same process but install grub to Ubuntu drive. Reboot. End up with grub prompt. Eh...

After surfing this forum and reading about these install problems, in the end being not that much wiser, I decided to switch my boot mode to EFI. I tested that I could still boot to Windows, at least. Another try at installation, with grub installed to Ubuntu drive. This time it worked. And not only that, I got the working OS switch menu back.

In short, check out your computer's BIOS/UEFI/EFI settings. It may help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Because your second drive is smaller is it an SSD using Intel SRT or similar technology. Ultrabooks use that. The Intel SRT uses RAID (somehow) and that confuses grub on where to install. Normally with RAID grub is to install inside the root of the RAID, but the desktop installer does not have RAID drivers and it is not standard RAID. Or you would not want grub installed inside it anyway. Most turn off SRT & remove RAID meta-data and then grub installs just fine. And reimplementing SRT restores it.

Intel Smart Response Technology
    http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support...ts/chpsts/imsm
    Some general info in post #3
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2071242
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

So then how do I completely remove what is on my Ubuntu partition? Do I do it straight from Windows 8?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Have you run Boot-Repair?And its rename function?
    If not you should just be able to go into UEFI menu and directly boot Windows.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

dear i think u will have to repair your boot. for which you have to install boot repair

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123