Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to install and uninstall software in ubuntu

Beans

Red face How to install and uninstall software in ubuntu

I am just new here, and a totally beginner in ubuntu. Could you give me some stuff on how to install an uninstall software in ubuntu? Is it possible to install a software in a specified directory in ubuntu? Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to install and uninstall software in ubuntu

Aeront; Hi ! Welcome to the forum .

Installing software for ubuntu is a simple as selecting what you want in the "Software Center" and selecting install.(there are 35,000 + packages available there) The package management system will take care of ALL details. Once you have progressed past "new user" stage there are other means to install software. Mainly then through a PPA (Personal Package Archive). Even then the package manager takes care of the installation. You will rarely have to be concerned with what file is installed where. Lastly is for the very advanced user, to compile from source and install .. even then the package manager will take care of the majority of the details.

and:
    Is it possible to install a software in a specified directory in ubuntu?
    Nope, Once you are familiar with the file system, you will understand why. It has to do with shared resources and the system has to know what is installed where. There are checks and balances in place to insure all files are installed properly and in the correct place.

(Un-)install: if installed via the Software Center, then - simply - remove from that resource. PPA removal is a different procedure, as well a manual installation to remove takes an intimate knowledge of "dpkg" and "apt-get" to affect that removal from the system.

Coming to ubuntu (linux) from another operating system to become comfortable is a steep learning curve, once you are beyond the "point click" stage. There is a different mind set ! With time and patience you will come to agree this is the greatest operating system the world has ever seen ! Now is the time it is spreading wings and preparing to fly !

Hang in there, ask and seek -> here there is no such thing as a dumb question.
    Above all; great documentation but;:: this is a constantly evolving operating system, what was yesterday may no longer apply !

seek earnestly and you will find

THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans

synaptic packet manager for uninstalling its the best out there and software center for installing never ever add unknown PPA............

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you write your own code, then you can put it wherever you want. I have a ~/bin directory for scripts and other stuff I've written..
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans

You can use terminal with:

sudo apt-get purge #Software Name, with directory if needed#

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi, I always use Ubuntu Software Center to install/uninstall software. Another way to do that is using commands in the Terminal. For example you can install software by writting:
    sudo apt-get install <package-name>

You can uninstall software by writting:
    sudo apt-get remove <package-name>

Beans

If I may join in; this 'all over the place' and 'wherever you want' is actually even more confusing than stating 'it needs to go to /bin'.
    Say at work we have a linux cluster, all software executables (and some/many more files) are neatly stored/installed in /apps/software/version; every user can go there, have a look, and point his personal alias to the right location/file.
    If in Ubuntu installed files go into various places where am I supposed to look? How can I set up my own alias?
    Sure, with software installed manually I can do as I please but those installed through soft centre....

Beans

Why would you need your own alias? Simply use the executable.

If you *really* want to know where the executable is installed, dpkg will tell you.
    For example, the hello package installs the executable to /usr/bin/hello
    Code:
    ~$ dpkg -L hello
    /.
    /usr
    /usr/bin
    /usr/bin/hello
    /usr/share
    /usr/share/man
    /usr/share/man/man1
    /usr/share/man/man1/hello.1.gz
    /usr/share/info
    /usr/share/info/hello.info.gz
    /usr/share/doc
    /usr/share/doc/hello
    /usr/share/doc/hello/NEWS
    /usr/share/doc/hello/copyright
    /usr/share/doc/hello/changelog.Debian.gz

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The applications themselves usually go into /usr/bin. This directory is automatically searched whenever you try to run a command. Sometimes they're somewhere else, but in that case the installation script/package should leave a symbolic link or a script in /usr/bin, pointing to the place where the binary is installed.

Libraries specific to the application are usually in /usr/lib/applicationname. Libraries are stored together because this makes it easier to share libraries amongst several applications. Data files common to all users usually are in /usr/share/applicationname. This way, the shared data files can be for example on a network drive used by several computers, which all have their own libraries and executables, because some may be 32 bit, others 64 bit and others not Linux systems at all. The application should know where to look for them, so don't bother.

User files are somewhere in (a subdirectory of) the user's home directory, in which case the user should know where to find them, or in ~/.applicationname or ~/.config/share/applicationname, in which case the application should know where to look. This is the only place where the user has write access and it makes it easier to move the data to network storage, independent of the machine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast