Thread: Can't resize window

Can't resize window

Is anyone else having a situation where they can't resize any window? I can make it fullscreen and minimize, but if I want to make it a window and then change how much of the desktop space it's using, I can't. I searched Launchpad and the forums here, but didn't see anything about it.

If no one else is having the issue, could someone recommend which package I would need to reinstall? Presumably Unity, but I don't know that for sure.

Beans

Re: Can't resize window

The easiest way is to move your cursor all the way up, then move down a little bit (i.e., place your cursor in the menu bar), double-click it (the menu bar). This will reduce your "full screen" to a window (or partial screen). Drag its corner to re-size it.

I understand that, but the part where I'm supposed to drag it to resize doesn't work. I get the changed icon (the arrow with the line), but it doesn't actually move.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Sageth View Post
    I understand that, but the part where I'm supposed to drag it to resize doesn't work. I get the changed icon (the arrow with the line), but it doesn't actually move.
    Sounds like it's Compiz related. I have had that issue. Went into CCSM and changed some stuff under Windows Management.
    Everything worked great then.
    This is only for Gnome Flashback though, not Unity. I believe Unity does what it wants and doesn't have this problem.

CCSM window management.png
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 Mate | 15.04 Gnome | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Ah, thanks! That gave me enough to go on. Rebooting on its own didn't help, and I went into CompizConfig and "Resize window" was checked. I unchecked and rechecked it and it didn't work. So then I did the following to determine what compiz items were installed and reinstall them:
    Code:
    dpkg --get-selections | grep -i compiz
    sudo apt-get install compiz compiz-core compiz-gnome compiz-plugins-default compizconfig-settings-manager libcompizconfig0 python-compizconfig --reinstall
    When I went back in, there were LOTS of Compiz settings unchecked, but this time checking the box allowed me to resize immediately. Thanks for your help... just needed a small pointer.