Thread: Run Terminal Commands on Startup?

Beans

Run Terminal Commands on Startup?

Hello! I would like to have the terminal open up and run a command in a window on or right after the DE starts up. I am using Xubuntu. To be more specific, I would like Xubuntu to open Terminal windows in specific positions and sizes, in a specific workspace and run specific sudo commands automatically. Is this possible? Could it grab my password from login instead of having me enter it again? P.S. I am not new to Linux, to Forums or to the Ubuntu Forums, but it's been a while since I've posted anything relevant and the account is new.

Beans

Re: Run Terminal Commands on Startup?

Pardon me if my response is not a good way of doing all this. I'm not a programmer and don't use Xubuntu and so am not sure that any of this will work in your distribution.
    If I wanted to do this, I would add "yourloginname ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: ALL" to the bottom of the sudoers file
    Then I would make a bash file that runs the desired sudo command and make that file executeable
    Then make a small file in /usr/share/applications that executes this bash file and set it to display the terminal
    Lasly, add this program to the the autostart menu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Don't give blanket sudo to that account, too much can go wrong. You can give NOPASSWD privileges for just specific programs and leave it at that. You can even define which specific parameters are allowed to be passed to those particular programs. Here are two examples.

Code:
    %users ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/local/sbin/ddclient ""
    %users ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/gpioctl gpio0 6 on, \
                              /usr/sbin/gpioctl gpio0 6 off, \
                              /usr/sbin/gpioctl gpio0 6 [012]
    Last edited by Lars Noodén; October 13th, 2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: better sudoers example

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you do not explicitly need to run the commands in a visible Terminal, i.e., if you don't want to actually see the commands run, you might put them in a shell script that runs at login.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

And you can invoke that single shell script with sudo, and not have to prefix each command inside it with sudo. This means that the NOPASSWD option can specify just that shell script, thus minimizing the security risks. When a script is executed, bash clones off a secondary shell using the privilege level under which it's running at the time, so all the included commands inherit root permissions.
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads