Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what should I do after installing ubuntu 12.04

Beans

what should I do after installing ubuntu 12.04

Hi everyone
    I was using zorin os 6 until yesterday when it crashed with a "session filed" warning. I tried to resolve the probelm, but failed, so instead I took the opertunity to install ubuntu 12.04. My question is what should I do after install and what does cononical do and should I install it. I've already

changed mirrors
    updated
    installed restricted extras
    installed synaptic package manager
    checked for additional drivers
    firestarter

Thanks
    Last edited by Kojak Peg; October 16th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: what should I do after installing ubuntu 12.04

Hi Kojak Peg.

You could install

ubuntu tweak
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Just kidding, sorry for this, but I suggest you enjoy playing and working with your new Ubuntu . It is great. Looking forward to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, though.

Topsiho

Beans

Thanks guys
    I'll give the tweak thing a go. As for playing, I was using zorin, just to wean me off windows. I still haven't gotten used to the terminal yet, and it's been a long time since I used dos, so getting used to commands line again is difficult, but I'm getting there slowly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It is not necessary knowing about the command line, but it would be really handy if you do know some basics. The real power of unix/ linux, is in the command line.

Googling you'll find tons of tutorials, and the knowledge you get from them lasts "forever" (the usability). A promising tutorial is, I guess:

http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

The more you know about Linux, the more you love it. Problem for me, is that I tend to forget commands I never use, so I get around with only the most simple ones, which is fine for me .
    There are always the man-pages of course, eg. "man ls", gives you all kinds of info about the ls command, far more than you'll need and quite technically.

Topsiho

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It used to be said that Ubuntu is for humans. We do not say it any more but the sentiment is still there. Some users of Linux like to do things the complicated way. Ubuntu is very much a distribution for ordinary users. And things have become simpler. When I started using Ubuntu five years a go there seemed to be 3 or 4 different utilities for doing the same thing. And the utilities were hard to understand and so to use, if we were a new user.

You need to decide whether you want to continue using 12.04 until the next Long Term Support release comes out in April 2014 or upgrade to the latest release which is 13.10, to be released in a few days. Your system is set to notify you of the release of the next LTS. So, you will not receive notification of the release of 13.10. You will have to change a setting to be notified of a new six monthly release and with that notification an option to easily upgrade.

We can upgrade from 12.04 to 14.04 (when it comes out). But to upgrade from 12.04 to 13.10 we first need to upgrade to 13.04 and then upgrade again to 13.10. A little bit more complicated. This is how things work. We are advised to remain on 12.04 LTS if we want a stable OS. We should consider the six monthly releases as stable testing releases. Their life support is only 9 months. So, if you go on to 13.10 you will have to upgrade to 14.04 anyway. Best to wait another 7 months.

You can also adjust the time intervals that Ubuntu uses to check for updates. In 12:04 I think you do this in System Settings>Software Sources. I cannot say for sure as I have been using a development version of 13.10 for several months and the names of certain utilities have been changed. Software Sources is now called Software and Updates. An example of making things more understandable to new users

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; October 13th, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Maybe install Skype, K3B, new background, install games, install Firestarter, Spotify.
    Edit: Oh, I forgot, Alien
    Add partner repositories.
    Last edited by Laurence02; October 13th, 2013 at 02:01 PM.

What are you interested in doing on your computer? The repositories have over 20,000 packages in them.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I would recommend just play around with your system for a while look through the ubuntu software centre and just generally familiarise yourself with the system. With linux the possibilities are endless maybe when your more comfortable start to familiarise yourself with the terminal. You said you use to use dos i think linux is easier to learn and the are thousand's of help pages around and if you ever get stuck just post on here most problems are solved within a few hours

Remember to always back up your data.

Beans

I would suggest taking a look at this. I have used this guy since 8.04.
    Things to do after installing 12.04. Choose items you wish to use.
    Welcome aboard.

http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfec...ecise-pangolin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast