Thread: Ubuntu 12.4 windows, icons are so big

Beans

Ubuntu 12.4 windows, icons are so big

Hello folks,

I have just installed Ubuntu 12.4 LTS as an absolute beginner migrating from Win7, I notice that, windows, icons and everything is so big. My screen resolution is 1366*768. Is there a chance to make windows smaller. For example on Thunderbird, I can see 10 lines of mails while on outlook of Win7 with the same resolution, it was 30. I mean here, the window is not compact and fonts are so big etc. Should I switch to a different desktop envirenment?

I am sorry that this is a very basic question and any suggestion is kindly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 12.4 windows, icons are so big

Hi,

Thunderbird (and Firefox) have option to use smaller icons. If you click with right button on the toolbar and select Customize, in the popup window you can see an 'Use small icons' checkbox. This may improve a little.

You can install Unity Tweak Tool too. In this program's 'Fonts' section you can set in the size of fonts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm real new to Linux but using GUI I downloaded Ubuntu Tweak from the Software center, you can re-size to pretty much whatever you want then

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Application windows can be resized. Just grab the window edge or corner. As regards the amount of space an email client gives to the number of emails listed in comparison to the amount of space allowed to reading each email that can also be adjusted. Applications usually have a View menu that lets us change font size. And in the Universal Access utility we can adjust the font size of system characters.

If you go to System Settings>Appearance you will find an option to reduce the size of the icons in the Launcher (left panel). It is a long time since I used 12.04, so if 12,04 does not have this feature you need to install Compiz Configuration Settings Manager through the Software Centre and somewhere in there is the means to reduce the Launcher size.

It is better to give consideration to those who need things to be large and provide an option to resize things for those who do not need things large than the other way around. Universal Accessibility is important.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; October 13th, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530