Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: k9copy alternatives?

squakie is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: k9copy alternatives?

Okay, it appears AVFormatParameters is supposed to be part of libavformat-dev. So, someplace along the line it would appear the libavformat-dev, or perhaps libav itself, has changed. Does anyone have any ideas on what name took it's place?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've post for help in the programming sub forum. When/if I can get something figured out I'll post back here again. In the mean time, for the poster using an older version and said the results where scrambled up, do you perhaps need to have libdvdcss installed to have it decode a commercial DVD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Seems the package dvd95 should be able to do all of this, but I can't get it to work correctly with my DVD's. it's in the regular repositories for 14.04. Still looking at k9copy, but my knowledge is minimal and k9copy is pretty complex.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Indeed, tried DVD95 again with a different DVD and it does create the smaller ISO (I didn't try burning it to a disk). And as a previous poster mentioned - VLC crashes when trying to process the ISO (I mounted the ISO).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ok, some potentially good news! I found a copy of an old file that was needed in order to build k9copy in 14.04. I modified just 2 simple things in the source, built it successfully, and currently have a test running (I've never used it before so bear with me! ). I'll post back the results of that test.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    So, someplace along the line it would appear the libavformat-dev, or perhaps libav itself, has changed.
    Perhaps you should hunt out the release version of FFmpeg at the time of the last release of k9copy, some detective work might be in order. But this will mean that you would be working with an old version of FFmpeg which can be less than desirable...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That's why I just tried an old copy of the avformat.h header file and kept it local to the source, not replacing the one on the system. The dang thing is still running - looks like it is doing what it should - but it a LOT slower than dvd95 was on this same disc. Of course, the output ISO from dvd95 caused vlc to crash

What I'm hoping:

after this finishes and I find out whether it really worked or not, then I will need to find someone who can help me through the changes from the old ffmpeg/libbav to when ever this "newer" version took effect. I have a suspicion that's a couple of years ago, right about the time that k9copy stopped being maintained. Don't get me wrong - I DON'T have a CLUE what the heck the code is doing or what all the functions are doing or what all the structures and their changes are. I just know that avformat.h is different as delivered now in 14.04 - perhaps even a few releases prior to that. I would just need someone to tell me what the heck to change the code to to make use of the "new" avformat.h.

I also have to forwarn that right now I have NO clue what dependencies, besides kde - I installed kdevelop and seem to have gotten most everything came with that except for something I found on the net and need to find again to see what it installed).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Jezz, let me guess: does this work?

Just tried this - doesn't work in 14.04.

Also - my system crashed (looks like something to do with my network driver - which was new last night from a 3rd party source. So, I lost my k9copy test. Guess I'll restart it.
    Last edited by squakie; April 28th, 2014 at 02:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Okay, thanks people who used to cooperate as the makers/maintainers/etc. of ffmpeg so that we've ended up with ffmpeg as one project and libav as another. So the problem here seems to be that k9copy was coded for ffmpeg, whereas Ubuntu supported the fork to libav. So, I don't have a copy of ffmpeg's avconvert.h - I have libav's instead (at least that's what seems to be the case). So.......can anyone tell me how to convert a program written with ffmpeg in mind to using libav instead?

Beans

An easier method might be to see if K9copy is happy with a local installation of FFmpeg, I see that Slackware uses 0.11.1 with a heavy warning that all options may not be available. Newer versions of this release are available: FFmpeg 0.11.5 "Happiness" is the most recent. If you can convince k9copy to use this local version (by manipulating the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable) you might be right...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast