Thread: HDMI port on laptop stopped being detected

Beans

HDMI port on laptop stopped being detected

I have an Asus S550C. Its HDMI port worked great for video until recently, when I tried to get sound to work. As I have the same Intel video card as this guy, http://askubuntu.com/questions/27850...-hda-intel-pch, I followed his instructions and to my surprise suddenly the HDMI port stopped working even for video.

xrandr no longer lists HDMI, even as "disconnected".
    dmesg no longer says ANYTHING when I plug in or unplug the cable to this TV.
    aplay -l still lists this
    "card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0] Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0"

Returning the /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf file to its original condition and rebooting has no effect.

Reading these forums has solved hundreds of problems for me in the past, but I couldn't find anyone with this problem here. That's a first for me, so I posted. I hope I followed the correct style to post.

Beans

Re: HDMI port on laptop stopped being detected

The guy here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=142661 appears to have the same problem, or at least similar symptoms (xrandr does not list HDMI port). Since these answerers thought it was a drivers problem, should I then be trying to fix my i915 drivers?

What are some more diagnostic tools regarding video output to help me pinpoint the problem?

Beans

I re-installed the xserver-xorg-video-intel package and the HDMI port is once again listed in xrandr. "HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)"

Beans

This fixed the problem. Is there some procedure now... labeling it "Solved"?