Thread: Is the Xubuntu image different from installing xubuntu-desktop?

Beans

Is the Xubuntu image different from installing xubuntu-desktop?

According to Ubuntu's website, "Xubuntu uses the Ubuntu base and the Xfce desktop environment." If I was manually installing packages from scratch, would I just install desktop-base and xubuntu-desktop? Or does the actual Xubuntu distro image include other installs/tweaks?

I notice at least that GIMP is listed as recommended in xubuntu-desktop, but it wasn't installed by default on Xubuntu.
    Last edited by kasu2; October 12th, 2013 at 09:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Is the Xubuntu image different from installing xubuntu-desktop?

It comes with standard software, but you can add anything you'd like, such as Gimp, from the Software Center (which comes installed). Try it from a Live CD to see what you think.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is always better to install Xubuntu rather than install the Xubuntu desktop on Ubuntu. The same applies to the other flavours of Ubuntu. The developers of these flavours do a lot more than simply provide an install script that installs a Ubuntu base with a different desktop added on top. Over the six months of the development cycle the developers work on Xubuntu as a complete distribution, which of course includes the Xubuntu desktop. It would be a mistake to think of them as only working on the Xubuntu desktop.

Alternative desktops are an offshoot of the flavours and they can conflict with each other. I tried installing Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu and Gnome desktop on top of Ubuntu and I found that the OS became unusable. I think that things will get worse regarding alternative desktops and the flavours become more and more distributions in their own right and Ubuntu develops in its own direction.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    It is always better to install Xubuntu rather than install the Xubuntu desktop on Ubuntu. The same applies to the other flavours of Ubuntu. The developers of these flavours do a lot more than simply provide an install script that installs a Ubuntu base with a different desktop added on top. Over the six months of the development cycle the developers work on Xubuntu as a complete distribution, which of course includes the Xubuntu desktop. It would be a mistake to think of them as only working on the Xubuntu desktop. Alternative desktops are an offshoot of the flavours and they can conflict with each other. I tried installing Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Lubuntu and Gnome desktop on top of Ubuntu and I found that the OS became unusable. I think that things will get worse regarding alternative desktops and the flavours become more and more distributions in their own right and Ubuntu develops in its own direction. Regards.
    Thanks for the info. I'm working on a custom distro and was wondering if I should start with Ubuntu core or Xubuntu. I'll start from Xubuntu per your advice.