Thread: Are there testing/experimental versions of Ubuntu?

Beans

Are there testing/experimental versions of Ubuntu?

With Debian, I could choose between stable, testing, and experimental. Do I have those choices with Ubuntu? I don't like having a codename listed for my sources (deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu raring-security main restricted), because once that codename is outdated, so are my packages. I always want the packages that are proposed for the upcoming release. Can I do that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Are there testing/experimental versions of Ubuntu?

Ubuntu does not have those series like debian does - that would mean that Ubuntu is a rolling release, but we do have a beta version of the upcomming version of ubuntu (which will eventually have to be upgraded)

They are avaliable here http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/

Note that they are _extremely_ experimental, and can lead to broken systems that will require a reinstall at times.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Keep an eye on the Ubuntu+1 section of this forum. That is where some of us who run the Ubuntu development branch hang out. In a few days we shall go over to the next development version of Ubuntu. We do not know its code name. Some of us are expecting that there will soon be some way of getting onto a development version where the software sources do not become outdated or where they can easily be switched to the next version. In fact there is a simple command that will rename the software sources of Saucy Salamander to those of the development version of t- code name. I have been using this command (with slight variations) for more than two years now.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530