Thread: X-Mir: Beautiful display

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

X-Mir: Beautiful display

Greetings,
    I have been getting heavy updates for the last few days. After today's updates I now have the most beautiful desktop, webpages, etc I have ever seen. And I'm getting this on a three year old Toshiba Laptop. If this is what Mir is coming to I'm all for it. Using Intel Mobile 4 chipset and running Ubuntu Unity with X-Mir.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: I don't know about you guys but my display is absolutely beautiful.

I stopped using Xmir but not because of problems. I wanted to test an ISO that installed Xmir by default. But that is now not going to happen until some time during the next development cycle. I am reviewing my plans for the next cycle. I will consider going back on to Xmir. I like to have an install where development happens naturally as well as installs where I test stuff through PPAs.

I, also thought that Xmir was working pretty well. I am looking forward to get bits and pieces of full Mir over the next six months. My machine dates back to 2007.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: X-Mir: Beautiful display

I have to give credit to the developers who are writing the open source drivers for Intel Graphics hardware. I have Mir (unity-system-compositor) working on machines all the way back to 2003. On the newer nVidia cards also.

a big +1!

One thing though .. when it borks out on an older card it really borks out !

Beans

I never noticed any difference using X-Mir with Intel Graphics hardware. Can also say I have no problems using it as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    Greetings,
    I have been getting heavy updates for the last few days. After today's updates I now have the most beautiful desktop, webpages, etc I have ever seen. And I'm getting this on a three year old Toshiba Laptop. If this is what Mir is coming to I'm all for it. Using Intel Mobile 4 chipset and running Ubuntu Unity with X-Mir.
    Screenshots?
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

HI,
    Anyone using Mir/Xmir with an Optimus Nvidea?
    I've an Laptop with Optimus tecnology, soo if is possible i don't mind to try Mir
    Regards
    Miguel

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I tried it on a "nvidia 6150SE nforce 430", and it was gawd-awful.

Beans

Re: Optimus

Quote Originally Posted by miguelpires View Post
    HI,
    Anyone using Mir/Xmir with an Optimus Nvidea?
    I've an Laptop with Optimus tecnology, soo if is possible i don't mind to try Mir
    Regards
    Miguel
    Well here I'm running 13.10 with a nvidia 660m gtx so by default it uses intel (4000
    Overall the intel works just fine, no real need for nvidia side unless I was playing games (not often, have win 7 anyway) or had some real high bitrate video

As far as the intel driver have installed libvdpau-va-gl1 so I get gpu vdpau decoding with mplayer with intel & also flash hardware (gpu) decoding with intel.
    Bumblebee brings nothing to the table for me as it doesn't support video decoding & nvidia-primus just boots to low graphics so for the moment will stick with intel in linux with this laptop.

As far as xmir - doesn't offer anything atm, the only reason to have installed in 13.10 is to see if it regresses anything. With intel 4000 it doesn't other than an acknowledged 10% performance hit, with many nvidia cards it does regress when using nouveau.
    (- the title of this thread doesn't make much sense

Beans
    Distro

XMir so far doesn't bring any advantages over Xorg and in fact it causes a regressions. I've been testing it for a couple of months in daily current live mode and using the Xubuntu 13.10 testing images (BTW they still get updates).

XMir uses a software cursor because the developers had problems with enabling hardware cursor of Xorg (it collides with Mir cursor). Apparently the software cursor is buggy and for example you will see graphic corruption in maps and games. The developers think that it's restricted to Nouveau but I think that it happens for all drivers. See the first bug which has reports from people using Intel and Radeon.

For users of Nouveau there is also screen tearing on XMir which doesn't exist in Unity running on Xorg.

If they resolve that two bugs that will bring XMir experience on my GeForce 9600 GT to the level of Xorg.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mateusz Stachowski View Post
    XMir so far doesn't bring any advantages over Xorg and in fact it causes a regressions. I've been testing it for a couple of months in daily current live mode and using the Xubuntu 13.10 testing images (BTW they still get updates).

XMir uses a software cursor because the developers had problems with enabling hardware cursor of Xorg (it collides with Mir cursor). Apparently the software cursor is buggy and for example you will see graphic corruption in maps and games. The developers think that it's restricted to Nouveau but I think that it happens for all drivers. See the first bug which has reports from people using Intel and Radeon.

Finally i understand why Java Apps, (likes eclipse, JetBrains IntelliJ, Scilab, etc...) doesn't works with Xmir.