Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building computer to play games

Beans

Building computer to play games

Any suggestions on which CPU/motherboard combinations are good for gaming if I plan to install ubuntu? I'm really thinking the i7-4770K (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116901) but I'm open to suggestions. I cannot pick out a damn motherboard. There are too many options and I am kind of a noob. I have been doing a lot of reading so I am getting better at understanding the terminology of the motherboard tech specs. I want something that will enhance my gaming experience but is also compatible with the linux kernel. I hear that ASUS motherboards are pretty good in terms of compatibility. Budget is not a huge concern. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Beans

Re: Building computer to play games

Hello Throbn, first of all tell us your budged, prefered sites and brands: newegg, amazon etc.. Intel, AMD.

Beans

Hi 1s3ct0wn, thanks for responding. Budget is not a big concern. I'm thinking I'll end up spending between 1000-2000 when all is said and done. From my research, this is a reasonable estimate for a self-build project of a higher end gaming machine.

I don't have any preferred site, I have been researching most of my products on newegg, amazon, tomshardware, and microcenter. But I wouldn't be opposed to shopping elsewhere.

As far as brands, I am trying to keep an open mind. I'd love suggestions on which brands are most compatible with each other and with ubuntu. As of now I am leaning towards an Intel based processor and an Asus motherboard. But I'm not 100 percent sure yet. And I haven't done enough research yet on power supply, case, fan, RAM, and graphics cards to know which brands work best with each other and with the linux kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

$1000-$2000 you can build a pretty good system with that dough.

My picks keeping it generic:
    GPU = GTX 780 (wait for price drop sometime this month or next month due to new Radeon cards pushing Nvidia's price down) Stay away from SLI until the end of next year. The drivers in linux aren't ready.
    CPU = get the best i5 or an i7 k type. I prefer i7 since I transcode a lot. It also future proofs the machine since games are increasingly multi-threaded each year especially now with the new consoles out pushing game design.
    Mobo = 1150 socket
    Memory = DDR3 1600 to 2400 depending on how much money is left. Anything above 1600 will require overclock in bios.
    All the rest are subject to your taste and build method. I kind of like the Corsair 750d case though. But best bang for the buck I'd say is still the Fractal Arc midi

Beans

Thanks for responding DanglingPointer. You have a lot of good info.

I am pretty sure I am going to go for the i7 4770k just for future proofing.

There are so many commercial 1150 socket Mobo's, it is difficult for me to make a decision. I would like to narrow it down by manufacturer...I have heard good things about ASUS being very compatible with the linux kernel. Has your experience with ASUS been good or do you usually pick up your Mobo's from another vendor?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What Linux compatible games are you planning on running? There is really nothing out there for Linux at the moment that requires the kind of system you are preparing to build.... Theres Wine, but Ive never had a game run perfectly in it so tend to avoid it these days. I have a mid-ranged system that I put together for under $1000 two years ago and I have yet to encounter a Linux game that it has a hard time running. Although I love Linux and it pains me to say it, if you want a gaming computer, Windows is still the best option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@ Throbn
    I haven't had any problems with mobos to be honest. I have used 1 Asus and 3 Gigabytes with ubuntu and none of them had any problems with the kernel.
    My main rig at the moment is an aging Gigabyte H61M-D2-B3 with 16GB of DD3 1333, an i7-2600, a Radeon HD 5870, an Astrotek PCIE sata card, a USB3.0 PCIE card and a RAID 5 array of 6x 2TB disks (media and games path). I've got Ubuntu 12.04 running on a USB 64GB stick! All that hardware worked without any dramas!
    Got the OS running on a USB stick so I can just swap it with another stick with another Ubuntu version in the future and the RAID array (MDADM) with all media would just be mounted on the new OS. The rig has been running for 2yrs literally 24/7 (started with Ubuntu 11.04) with an EATON 1500VA UPS.
    I'll be swapping out the video card when the Titan drops in price. And will likely get one of those Steam controllers. I also lobbed on a Noctua NH-D14 last month as the new place I'm living at gets warm.

So in a nutshell, I have purchased a lot of hardware many of them when they were the latest and greatest of the day when bought and haven't had any driver or kernel issues with any of them. Even my new all in one Canon MX456 printer works fine with Ubuntu and Gimp.
    Once I had a custom water cooled-overclocked rig running Ubuntu Jaunty Jackelope (9.04) that cost me an arm and a leg! It was a Q9650 overclocked to 4.2 GHz. Didn't have any issue or stability problems with that either. It too was on a Gigabyte board.

@ whatthefunk
    Wargame European Escalation and Wargame Airland Battle need a mighty rig for all the eye candy! Metro Last Light will be out later this year as well. Crytek will also be releasing something perhaps a OpenGl Linux port of Crysis 1-3. They haven't given any dates though. Rome 2 Total War have also said they will be releasing a Linux port. The future is bright for linux gaming. Problem with getting Windows for a new rig is money will be wasted on it which could go to hardware.
    Last edited by DanglingPointer; October 12th, 2013 at 03:24 PM.

Beans

Here is an suggestion for 2,000$ high-end components.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($327.98 @ Outlet PC)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($192.99 @ NCIX US)
    Memory: Corsair 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($142.78 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($177.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($96.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($96.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($662.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Thermaltake VN300M1W2N ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($156.66 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.00 @ Newegg)
    Total: $2058.36
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-10-12 10:57 EDT-0400)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Desktop motherboards are usually not problematic. Just make sure it has PCI Express 3 and SATA 3 and then it's usually down to the amount of USB 3 ports you get.
    When it comes to SSD I agree with the above poster - Samsung 840 EVO is pretty much the best you can get now.
    For video card, I'd actually recommend AMD since the open source video drivers are much more mature because AMD has been opening up documentation for their cards for a while (NVIDIA just started doing this too). But really, any newer AMD/NVIDIA card should be okay with proprietary drivers.
    As far as memory goes, 1600 MHz will get you the highest amount of RAM for the least money. If you can afford it, higher clock rate is usually better nowadays if you have 8GB or more.
    My intent is not to flame. I am unarmed. -- QIII; thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur_D View Post
    For video card, I'd actually recommend AMD since the open source video drivers are much more mature because AMD has been opening up documentation for their cards for a while (NVIDIA just started doing this too). But really, any newer AMD/NVIDIA card should be okay with proprietary drivers.
    I dont know about this. Ive read a lot of complaints about AMD cards not working well with some games. Check out this thread on the Steam forums about the issue. There isnt too much AMD love going on there...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast