Thread: Multiple HDMI Outputs with Different Audio

Beans

Multiple HDMI Outputs with Different Audio

I'm currently attempting to build an HTPC that can feed multiple TVs in different rooms, so that each can show something different simultaneously. I found a really spiffy looking Mini-ITX motherboard that has two HDMI ports:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128567

And was wondering if this could work. Getting two different video files to play from a computer's two HDMI ports is easy; what I was wondering is how I could make it so the audio isn't pooled between the two HDMI ports, which is the case in a traditional multiple-monitor style setup. Since HDMI carries audio this should be doable, but I have no idea how. If I launch two instances of streaming programs, is there something I can type so each HDMI port's audio is dedicated to that instance? Thanks!

Beans

Re: Multiple HDMI Outputs with Different Audio

Here are the specs from realtek

• Primary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate
    • Secondary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate
    • 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-IN supports 44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate
    So it looks like you are out of luck. There are only 2 channels. One for the spdif connector and one for the hdmi.

But I can't seem to find any info on wether those 2 channels can be used independantly so even if you were to use the spdif connector with an extra cable or splice it into the hdmi I'm not shure it would work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Multiple HDMI Outputs with Different Audio

Quote Originally Posted by gravysteak View Post
    Here are the specs from realtek

So it looks like you are out of luck. There are only 2 channels. One for the spdif connector and one for the hdmi.

But I can't seem to find any info on wether those 2 channels can be used independantly so even if you were to use the spdif connector with an extra cable or splice it into the hdmi I'm not shure it would work.
    It's kinda tough to find onboard hardware with multiple independent output channels.
    Your best bet would probably be external cards like this : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815136006