Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DeadBeef plugin install?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: DeadBeef plugin install?

ok so maybe try moc as suggested earlier by tgalati4 great sound and all the library tricks you wish for

PS and you may know this but foobar works perfectly under Wine

see foobar on 13.04

f.png
    Last edited by shantiq; October 12th, 2013 at 11:19 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track [◄►] ● Is there Voodoo in the machine?
    ShanArt ● Mark as SolvedXmms

Beans

I also like clementine with gstreamer-delta plugin (similar to Audacious crystallizer). https://decatf.wordpress.com/2010/11...pening-plugin/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

delta plugin gstreamer, clementine,

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    I also like clementine with gstreamer-delta plugin (similar to Audacious crystallizer). https://decatf.wordpress.com/2010/11...pening-plugin/

yea great tip tooTemüjin clementine is a corker too especially if library is what one is after; streets ahead of the competition all the info on bands song lyrics and similar groups displayed; i shall try the plugin beacause in vanilla form the sound is not great, slightly muffled it seems to my bat-ears :::]]] ; but definitely a hugely brilliant player!

ok tried it! and yes just like crystallizer on Audacious slight echoey silkey sound very nice [i personally still favour crystal-bell of Xmms]

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:decatf/testy
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install delta

then run

Code:
     gconftool --type string --set /system/gstreamer/0.10/default/musicaudiosink "delta gain=100 ! autoaudiosink"
    Gstreamer delta: Audio sharpening plugin
    - Valid gain values [0 200]. Default 100
    PS in clementine go to tools/preferences and pick GSettings audio sink [i think]

q.jpgr.jpgs.jpg

ps2 ran same track through clementine xmms and moc [question for Temüjin :surely delta is also acting on moc since it uses Gstreamer too right?]and the difference is striking [my computer is linked to my very average stereo]
    WAY clearer on moc than on clementine still muffled even with plugin xmms is by far the cleanest and pure sound
    Last edited by shantiq; October 13th, 2013 at 12:07 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track [◄►] ● Is there Voodoo in the machine?
    ShanArt ● Mark as SolvedXmms

Beans

Thanks, but I'm afraid the last thing I want to do is install a crystallizer or any other DSP plugin. For a decent explanation of why you don't want any of that stuff check out the wiki at benchmarkmedia.com.

What I've found with this sort of thing is that dsp and different output modules in clementine et al. do affect the sound. When it's right the sources in the stereo sound field are stable. I'm not an soundstaging nut but instruments or voices shouldn't seem to move.

I'm not exactly a hifi purist but I've been into this stuff since the 70s, and if there's anything I've learned it's that if you're listening to how your playback system sounds, rather than just listening to the dang tune, there's something wrong. I'm amazed how many serious audiophiles don't get this.

I haven't dicked around with asound.conf yet (I may never) since my last post here. But I've edited /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf and changed defaults.pcm.dmix.rate from 48000 to 44100. As I mentioned before, I don't really care if the audio on video files gets resampled. But for music, yes.

I think that worked, but I haven't had time to listen to it much. But clementine ... which has great playlist features and I'd really prefer to get that working better ... seems to sound right that way. As good as deadbeef. But I'll have to do more testing. Of course, that may be all wrong and I may have been kidding myself during that quick listen.

Overall, though, linux audio seems to be a poorly standardized bucket of worms. It's the one area where I think windows is better.

Beans

changed defaults.pcm.dmix.rate from 48000 to 44100
    AFAIK, if you have pulseaudio running or you're outputting directly to hw:x,y device, then you're not using dmix.

For a decent explanation of why you don't want any of that stuff...
    Yeah, I've read those types of things, and I'd say it's dependent on the hardware you have and your ears. Sometimes, the only way to get a crappy laptop audio setup to sound good is using EQ. A lot of DSP plugins I've tried did nothing (at best) or just created clipping, but the "noise sharpening / delta" plugin always makes things sound better.

Beans

I agree sometimes you need EQ, but it's more because of bad recordings. Which unfortunately is most of them.

From what I can tell clementine is working as well as deadbeef with clementine set to alsa output and alsa set to default to 44.1K sample rate.

The problem with comparing these things is level matching ... it's far too little understood that to compare 2 things you have to match levels to less than 0.3dB. If you don't, they'll sound different, even though you may not be able to tell the volume isn't the same. This was tested in the 1970s and has been experimentally confirmed a number of times.

You'd think it'd be straightforward to do that. But 100% volume on one player is often noticeably louder than another.

It'd be a lot easier if they all had an option to bypass their software volume control. But most of them don't.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sayer View Post
    Frankly, alsa configuration stinks.
    Yes, but only on console. The problem is that most people do not know that there is also a GUI tool to tweak ALSA parameters. That's why I recommend you to look for QasMixer. I wouldn't want to mess with console GUI anymore, unless I need to (some capture settings, e. g. 'What U Hear' on a Creative card will still require that)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12