Thread: Need to force specific resolution for GUI when I add it to server

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Need to force specific resolution for GUI when I add it to server

Got a Ubuntu 13.04 server set up. Now I need to add a GUI so I can occasionally, at will (not every time) load a web browser to control a device. Problem is, it's in a rack in a lights-out server room and I must use a KVM-over-LAN device (Raritan Command Center) to control it.

Would strongly like to avoid the reinstall of the server, just want to add LXDE or XFCE (don't want overhead of GNOME or KDE) and a browser (FF or Chromium). Tried it once, LXDE came up in 1368-by-somethingoroher mode. Could not see the panel or launch any app because I could not scroll around in the Raritan to see that part of the screen, hadda do Ctrl-Shift-F1 to get to tty1 and uninstall the LXDE so I could get my server back.

So, here's the questions.

1) If I add a GUI, can I call for it only when I want it, for LXDE came back up even if I rebooted. I want CLI all the time and GUI just on demand.
    2) How can I make that GUI launch in 800x600 every time without fail, avoiding the higher-res modes which keep me from using it?

Thank you kindly, all.
    --
    73s and best regards de K7AAY, USNG: 10T ER 3007628876 (NAD 83)
    Hearts and minds stuff is a forbidden topic forum wide. Please find another venue to exercise your freedom of speech on this topic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Need to force specific resolution for GUI when I add it to server

Hi K7AAY.

I would reconsider the idea of installing a full desktop, as you only need either xauth, or at best xorg and a window manager (openbox for instance).

Here is an example on how to do that.

As for overriding, the now default graphic environment, you need to change a parameter on grub (read here).

Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro

So, I can install
    a) xauth and Firefox, or
    b) xorg, openbox and Firefox
    and not need a full GUI to use Firefox?

And, when I launch that, everything remains in 800x600 mode?

If so, perfect solution, thank you kindly, papibe.
    --
    Hearts and minds stuff is a forbidden topic forum wide. Please find another venue to exercise your freedom of speech on this topic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

x11 forwarding

Another way might be to connect with ssh and have it forward X11 so you can see the browser on your local machine.

Code:
    ssh -X k7aay@server.example.org firefox
    That way you wouldn't even need a window manager, though Openbox is popular. Network latency can be a problem with that, however.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by K7AAY View Post
    So, I can install
    a) xauth and Firefox, or
    b) xorg, openbox and Firefox
    and not need a full GUI to use Firefox?
    Yes. Note that you would access it as Lars Noodén describes (ssh X11 forwarding).
    Quote Originally Posted by K7AAY View Post
    And, when I launch that, everything remains in 800x600 mode?
    As you most likely would be forwarding a window, you could resize it as you want on the client size.

Let us know how it goes.
    Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

With X11 forwarding it gets even simpler, no GUI components are needed on the remote server. It is enough with just the graphical applications, such as Firefox. Since the actual display is on the local computer, it is forwarded to from the server to the local machine and makes use of the X server, window manager and desktop environment there. The X server is where the display actually takes place. But, again, if there is a lot of latency on your network, it won't be so pleasant to use and you'll want pabibe's suggestion of a lean window manager on the server and let the "KVM" take care of the connection.

Beans
    Distro

And, SSH connections to the server ain't permiso for this test case, _has_ to go through the Raritan, so back to papibe's suggestion.
    --