Thread: Which wifi dongle to buy

Beans

Which wifi dongle to buy

Firstly my grateful thanks to all who helped me on my previous post. I now have Ubuntu 12.04 installed and it's working wonderfully well. I had no problems with the ethernet connection but I now have to move the PC so it will be essential to get the wifi running. Does anyone have any advice as to which dongle would be best to buy and how to install it (drivers etc).
    Thanking you all very much
    Toni

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Help with wifi please.

I had an issue with a netgear wireless dongle, a WNDA3100. After looking online I found that it was a nightmare to install.

I went to here
    https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog...rking-gnulinux

ended up buying a wireless USB dongle that they appear not to sell anymore, but Ubuntu 12.04 64bit picked it up instantly and has ran fine ever since.

Anything they sell is guaranteed to work with Linux
    Intel Core i5-2550K @ 3.4GHz
    16GB DDR3 Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX660 2048mb
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD

Beans

Hi, I'm running 12.04 32 bit. I'm in the UK so will be looking around for something locally. Thank you MrMichaelHill, much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Toni_Vines View Post
    Hi, I'm running 12.04 32 bit. I'm in the UK so will be looking around for something locally. Thank you MrMichaelHill, much appreciated.
    Good evening

This one works with Ubuntu 12.04 and easily purchased in the UK:-

TP-Link
    Model: TL-WN722N

Kind regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm in the UK and ordered from ThinkPenguin?
    Intel Core i5-2550K @ 3.4GHz
    16GB DDR3 Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX660 2048mb
    120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Just to clarify are you using a laptop or desktop ? As you said pc i am under the assumption that you mean desktop in this case why use a usb wifi when there are plenty pci card's on the market most of which work out of the box. If you are unable to install a pci card as your port's are all full i would recommend something like thishttp://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/399064...:c|adp:1o2|mt: cheap and easy not the best but you get 'what you pay for . If using a pci wifi card all tp link card's i have used are linux compatible.

If this solve's you'r problem please mark this thread as solved in the top right hand corner under thread tool's

No matter what you do always remember to back up data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm not familiar with the UK market but I have two name brand adapters that I find plug 'n' play. These are both N150 speed though I think the TrendNet is capable of 300 down/150up. One is Trendnet TEW-649UB (RealTek 8192SU chipset), the other a Netgear WNA1100 (uses an Atheros 9271 chipset). The real trick with Linux wireless is to know the chipset each adapter uses. A related caution is that some manufacturers change chipsets without changing model designators. It appears that D-link is especially good at this though I'm sure they're not the only ones. This makes it difficult to recommend a certain device. For instance, I have a D-link DWA-131 early version, it uses an RTL8192SU chipset same as the Trendnet mentioned above and it works great. Dlink then released a DWA-131 ver.B (or similar designator) which was not plug 'n' play. I know of no way to discern from the packaging which one you were buying.