Thread: FBI Ransom Malware on Ubuntu 12.04 lts with Wine

Beans

FBI Ransom Malware on Ubuntu 12.04 lts with Wine

I posted this about an hour ago to this thread in General help and was refered here.

Re: you may find this hard to believe...

Hard to beleive? Not on your life! I'm also running the 64bt. Ubuntu 12.04 lts., and guess what? I got the FBI virus too....no windows...but I do run Wine.

First I got the pop-up and it wouldn't let go of my browser...it had it locked up. So I shut the system down, gave it a few minuits and rebooted.

Things looked good, I was able to run system settings so I removed Firefox, restarted again and reinstalled it to see how that would work. As soon as I opened it up the pop-up came back.

Now, I was angry. My 12.04 lts install was fairly new so I decided to clean house. I repartitioned and installed from a dvd. I fired it back up and it all looked good ...no more pop-up! The next day I'm on one of my forums and my curser starts moving around on it's own!!! You ever fight with someone over control of your own machine? I won, and gave it a rest.

That night I received a phonecall. Whoever it was.. seemed unsure of themselves, like a new telemarketer on their first call. He mumbled something I couldn't understand, and then I heard him say as his voice got louder (it sounded as if someone was prompting him) "You have a computer..a Windows computer?" I said "no" He said "you have a Windows computer, a Windows compuer, it doesn't run good. I can give you the comands to make it run better." I said "What the h*ll are you talking about? I don't want your commands!" and I hung up.

The next thing I did was to get Clam TK running. I found 4 files and I deleated them. They were within /home/c/.wine/drive_c/program files (x86)/ This disabled Wine. So I reinstalled Wine. I was back on a forum writing a lenthy post and then my text started to disappear, the same way as if the backspace key on the board were stuck. I returned to my desktop and opened a junk text file I had laying around, and it started to disappear too. Now when I run Clam TK It shows up again.

I've also noticed that my spell checker has stopped working. Is there a section on this forum where I can get help? Clamtk shows a program residing witin the program files(x86 folder to be infected.
    Last edited by cariboo907; October 10th, 2013 at 04:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: FBI Ransom Malware on Ubuntu 12.04 lts with Wine

The phone call and your problem with wine are unrelated, it was just a coincidence that the well known Windows scammers called you while you were dealing with the malware problem. My suggestion would be to create another user, and setup wine for him, and check to see if you still suffer from the problem.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: FBI Ransom Malware on Ubuntu 12.04 lts with Wine

Hi Sailfrog,

It looks like you are not alone. Please see - (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2166596)