Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asus 1015e-ds03. How to get Shift+tap(mouse touchpad) to send Right-Click command?

Beans

Asus 1015e-ds03. How to get Shift+tap(mouse touchpad) to send Right-Click command?

I just got http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1015E-DS0.../dp/B00COQK8QY <-- that laptop a few days ago. All is well, it's running xubuntu 12.04.3 and everything is great aside from the touchpad. The right-click isn't very responsive. The touchpad, when you tap once, works as a left-click. If you tap twice and keep your finger on the pad you can drag windows or select text etc... pretty much like you're holding the left mouse button down. If you tap with 2 fingers it does send the "right-click" command but it doesn't work all the time. Sometimes it moves the cursor away from what I'm trying to click or it just doesn't 'right-click' and I have to try a few times to get it to trigger. I was wondering if there was a way to get say... Left Shift + touchpad tap to work as a right-click? I quit Windows and I'm getting better with linux but I'm still new. If this were windows, I'd just use AHK and be good to go. Any help?

Beans

Re: Asus 1015e-ds03. How to get Shift+tap(mouse touchpad) to send Right-Click command

from the wiki, near the end of the page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingTouchpadDetection[1]

Enabling right button click for clickpads on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS added support for clickpads. The buttons are pressed by pressing the surface of the trackpad itself. All known clickpads, with the exception of the Apple Magic Trackpad, have indications on the trackpad for where the left and right buttons are. Clicking in the right button area should cause a right button click action. However, right button click support was added too late in the 12.04 LTS development cycle to be enabled by default. It is enabled by default in Ubuntu 12.10 and on.
    Fortunately, the right click functionality is present and working in the release. It simply needs to be enabled. The attached enable-rightbutton.sh script may be used to simplify the process. After downloading the script, execute the following:
    chmod a+x enable-rightbutton.sh ./enable-rightbutton.sh <device id|device name>
    Be sure to use the device id or name of your specific trackpad. You can list the devices on your computer using the "xinput" command.

xinput --list gives me
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad id=13 [slave pointer (2)]

Can someone hold my hand and walk me through this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Asus 1015e-ds03. How to get Shift+tap(mouse touchpad) to send Right-Click command

I have the same touchpad and the same behaviour you described. I downloaded and tried the script myself and can almost guarantee it is going to fail for you too as it does for probably all others using newer kernels.

It tries to set some values on a touchpad property (Synaptics Right Button Area) which apparently does not exist in current versions. (see this bug report).

To test it yourself, you may try this (based on the touchpad's ID in your above output, and assuming the script is in your "Downloads" directory) -
    Code:
    cd Downloads
    chmod a+x enable-rightbutton.sh
    ./enable-rightbutton.sh 13
    Be aware that this ID (13) may change on each boot, so confirm it with "xinput" command first.

By the way, do you know that on this kind of touchpads, tapping on the lower-right corner acts as right-click? And the upper-right corner as middle-click (mouse-wheel click). Although these are very small areas, so may take some practice to get used to (unless you "paint" the area ).
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Thank you for replying. I tried what you posted and it did fail. So, I checked the bug report and changed the end of the script to avoid this error.
    property Synaptics Right Button Area doesn't exist, you need to specify its type

And this is what happened.
    Code:
    ~/Downloads$ ./enable-rightbutton.sh 13
    X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
      Major opcode of failed request:  141 (XInputExtension)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  57 ()
      Serial number of failed request:  20
      Current serial number in output stream:  21
    I'm not sure what any of that means. The repeated use of failed doesn't look good though.

Tapping the lower right corner for right click is pretty cool but I can't seem to hit it very often. The success rate is pretty similar to the 2 finger tap.

Beans
    Distro

There are certain parameters available to the driver "psmouse" (check "modinfo psmouse"), one of which seems to make some people happier, although it seems to compromise some functionality. You may try that, and if you don't like its effect, we can easily revert back.

Based on comment #13 on the bug report page, here's what to try -
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -rv psmouse
    sudo modprobe -v psmouse proto=exps
    The first command will remove the driver, thus disabling the touchpad. The second will reload it with parameter "proto=exps". See if it behaves any better after that. If it does, we can make it permanent. If not, unload it again and reload without the parameter (or simply reboot). From the same comment -
    This enables right-clicking, but removes the ability to control other touchpad features. For example, you cannot disable touch-clicking.
    Varun

Beans

"although it seems to compromise some functionality" <---- yeah it did. heh

The good news is that the right click works like a charm. The bad news is that the cursor is sluggish to say the least and there doesn't seem to be a scrolling option. Any ideas on how to get the best of both worlds?

Thanks again, btw. You helped me a little while back on a Dell laptop issue as well. That laptop is still running strong.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by buttonmasher2 View Post
    Thanks again, btw. You helped me a little while back on a Dell laptop issue as well. That laptop is still running strong..
    Ooh! You made me look it up, almost forgot it. Always good to hear that word - "running 'strong'" !

The good news is that the right click works like a charm. The bad news is that the cursor is sluggish to say the least and there doesn't seem to be a scrolling option. Any ideas on how to get the best of both worlds?
    Unfortunately, I don't have any idea right now. There are a few things you may try yourself -

• Try some other values to the parameter you just tried. The acceptable ones are (from "modinfo psmouse") - bare, imps, exps, any (default one was "auto" when I checked).
    • Try installing "gpointing-device-settings" (sudo apt-get install gpointing-device-settings). It is a GUI tool for extended settings of mouse/touchpad, but doesn't create a launcher in Unity, can't say about XFCE. If you don't get an icon to launch it, run it from terminal or Alt-F2 > "gpointing-device-settings". Make sure to note down the default values before changing them, since it does not have a 'revert to defaults' option.
    • Try manually changing some settings using "xinput set-prop" command. Take a look at "man xinput" and pay special attention to "list-props" and "set-prop" options. For example -

Code:
    xinput list-props 13
    will list all the available settings for device ID "13" (was your touchpad last time). Note it down to be able to revert back later if required, although it seems they revert to defaults anyway on next boot. Then to change a setting, say "Synaptics Palm Detection", use something like this -
    Code:
    xinput set-prop 13 "Synaptics Palm Detection" 1
    ..which will enable Palm Detection.

The setting for Two Finger Scrolling is there, and its default value is "1, 0" for me here. And don't ask what 'all' the values are, cuz I don't know, can only guess.
    Varun

Beans

Well, now I'm thinking this might've been for naught. I rebooted and now the touchpad device id is 12. Yargh!

Beans
    Distro

FYI, you can also use the name (within double-quotes, since it contains spaces) instead of the ID. That is - "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad" instead of 12 or 13. It is unique and so should not give you troubles in case you are planning on a script or something that requires a permanent name/id.

Just play around as long as you can enjoy it, and let me know if you like any particular settings. We can make it permanent by adding a command (or even a whole script if required) to /etc/rc.local.
    Varun

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    FYI, you can also use the name (within double-quotes, since it contains spaces) instead of the ID. That is - "ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad" instead of 12 or 13. It is unique and so should not give you troubles in case you are planning on a script or something that requires a permanent name/id.

Just play around as long as you can enjoy it, and let me know if you like any particular settings. We can make it permanent by adding a command (or even a whole script if required) to /etc/rc.local.
    Oh, sweet! Good deal. I'll take note of the current settings and tinker and see how badly I can cripple this. Thanks a bunch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast