Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 Won't boot properly!

Beans

Exclamation Ubuntu 13.04 Won't boot properly!

I installed ubuntu 13.04 yesterday, on my Acer Aspire V3-551G-8454. Ubuntu has been working fine up to this point. When I boot Ubuntu, the screen seems to become offset, and the text lines are split and look like bail. The boot sequence seems to stop, and looks like what is in the picture below. I cannot seem to be able to interact in any way shape or form, short of turning off my computer with the power button. (Before you ask, yes, I can get into the BI/OS)
    Last edited by kyle-sellers2; October 9th, 2013 at 03:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Won't boot properly!

Normally that is a driver issue. Have you installed the non-free driver (before you have this)?

Choose in the Grubmenu the second line (Ubuntu recovery) and when you come in the little menu than choose: failsafeX
    There you can solve some problems.
    Or start further to the desktop and switch to the open driver (via Software&Updates) if you have used the non-free driver.
    You can look in /var/log/Xorg.0.log file for errors.
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans

When I select the option " Ubuntu, with Linux 3.8.0-31-generic (recovery mode) " a whole bunch of what i believe to be text scrolls by, then this happens to the screen and it stays like this. I seem to be able to input something during this screen. What i believe to be hapening, graphically, is that the boot sequence has misaligned the screen, and seems to put 1/4 of the screen on both the left and the right.

Beans
    Distro

What you see on the screen is the little menu.
    Try first to start further by pressing just Enter.
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org

Beans

Pressing enter bring me to a new menue, and yes I do believe that I installed the official AMD graphical drivers.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, Yes he ask confirmation.So click again Enter and now he must be go direct to the log in screen. Log in and if you switch to the non-free switch back to the open source driver and reboot. If all go well than there is a issue with the driver.

Beans

When i get to the first menu, i hit enter, and the same for the second menu. Then I go right back to the display that the first picture shows. Also, I can't read anything on the screen.

Beans
    Distro

Have you windows on that laptop? if yes, can you boot up with windows?

The menu here is like this:

resume ____ resume startup
    clean ____ for freeing space
    dpkg ____ repair brocken packages
    failsafeX ____ safe graphics modus
    fsck ____ filesystem control
    grub ____ for update grub
    network ____ activate network
    root ____ console for root
    system-summary ____ summary of system

You can use the console for root. I don't know directly a command but look for it on the forum, to remove or stop the driver from working.

What you can do is add arguments like "nomodeset" via Grub: on the first line you click 'e' and than you can edit the "linux /boot" line.
    Also plug a extra monitor in the Laptop for control the screen of your laptop.