Thread: GIMP window missing maximize button

Beans

GIMP window missing maximize button

Suddenly my main GIMP image window is taller than the screen (runs off the bottom) and it's missing the maximise (square) button. The button is there for a split second when the program fires up, but then it disappears, leaving only the X and the – buttons present. When I right-click on the window title bar, the Maximize function is greyed out and the Resize function only allows resizing the width. If I try to grab to top window edge, it won't drag down to resize the window. I have reinstalled it, but no change.

All other applications work normally: only GIMP shows this behaviour, I have failed to find anything in the Preferences. Has anyone else seen this, or know how to fix it.

GIMP 2.8.4 under Ubuntu 13.04

[update] Completely removed GIMP (using Synaptic) and reinstalled and rebooted, and the problem is still there.
    Last edited by frisket; October 9th, 2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: update

Beans

Re: GIMP window missing maximize button

Aha. Turns out that Single Window Mode (where images are opened in tabs) prevents the window being resized vertically. I have no idea how is got into Single Window Mode, probably some random brush-over of the mouse (except that I have never used the Window menu). Unclicking Single Window Mode returns to normal behaviour.

This is probably a bug.

Beans

Re: GIMP window missing maximize button

Actually you can resize witndow in single window mode. Switch to single window mode, go to Edit > Preferences > Theme and change "default ..." to "small .."