Thread: Best way to upgrade from 9.10 to 12.04?

Beans

Best way to upgrade from 9.10 to 12.04?

Hi!

I have outdated Mythbuntu and now wondering, what is the best - or least painful way to take a leap over couple releases?
    All my media and recordings are on separate physical disk and I want to keep them, as well my settings and recording schedules.

Is it possible just take a backup of the database, install Mythbuntu 12.04 from scratch and restore the database to the brand new Mythbuntu?
    Are there any database changes between the releases 0.22 and 0.27 which could prevent this?

-r

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Best way to upgrade from 9.10 to 12.04?

I looked on the MythTV wiki and it looks like they have some perl scripts you can run to backup the databases.

Database Backup and Restore -- MythTV Wiki

They have two perl scripts, one called backup and one called restore
    Save them to a location where you'll be able to find them and make them executable
    Code:
    chmod a+x mythconverg_backup.pl mythconverg_restore.pl
    Detailed help is available by executing either script with the --help argument.
    By saving the scripts to a directory in the user's PATH, you can execute them without specifying a full path. If you do not save them to a directory in the PATH, you should execute the scripts from the current directory as:
    Code:
    ./mythconverg_backup.pl --help
    Both scripts require several pieces of information, much of which can be determined by looking at the MythTV configuration file, ~/.mythtv/config.xml. However, the backup directory must be specified. While the directory can be specified with the --directory command-line argument, since it's likely to be the same value for every run, it makes sense to add the backup directory to a backup resource file (~/.mythtv/backuprc). Do so by running the following command from a shell (not in MySQL), replacing the directory, /home/mythtv, with the desired backup directory path:

Code:
    echo "DBBackupDirectory=/home/mythtv" > ~/.mythtv/backuprc
    If you do not specify the directory as above, the backups will be stored to a directory defined in the DB Backups storage group, falling through to the Default storage group.
    At this point, creating a backup should be as easy as running:
    Code:
    mythconverg_backup.pl
    Now for the upgrading part of Ubuntu. If you want to go the upgrade route you could upgrade the box to Ubuntu 10.04. From there you could jump to the next LTS release, 12.04.

Personally I would recommend doing a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04. However, I would test the database backup and restore funtionality before you commit to wiping the box down. Maybe stand up a VM of Mythbuntu 12.04 and see if it will restore the database to it.

There might be a bug upon restoring the database since you will be importing a older MythTV database into a newer system. They say online thought that MythTV will handle everything automatically.

It would be terrible to lose all those recordings!

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose
    UA Team Member
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Not sure how you'd upgrade it to 12.04 LTS. 10.04 LTS no longer supported.

Backup, clean install I'd say.

@Caboose885: Just noticed you've edited your post. Yep, clean install easiest, and possibly only, way to 12.04 from 9.10.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 9th, 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Not sure how you'd upgrade it to 12.04 LTS. 10.04 LTS no longer supported

Backup, clean install I'd say.
    I just did a fresh 9.10 install in a VM and I launched the Update Manger and selected "upgrade to 10.04". It installed without a hitch and I upgraded it finally to 12.04. All over the internet and no CDs required.

In my test enviroment it worked beautifully but considering your system has years of use on it your "mileage may vary"

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    @Caboose885: Just noticed you've edited your post. Yep, clean install easiest, and possibly only, way to 12.04 from 9.10.
    Edited my post? Since when?

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose

PS. Even though it is possible to upgrade I would still recommend a clean install
    Last edited by Caboose885; October 9th, 2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: added clean install
    UA Team Member
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Edited one minor detail when you were doing it cos it changed. Anyway, no matter. Too long ago now and inconsequential and you've since discovered some other magic so good luck with it. Well in hand and leave it to you.

Beans
    Distro

OP, Any update on your upgrade?
    UA Team Member

Beans

Thanks for the comments! I think I'll go for backup + fresh install of 12.04, testing it with another box before doing it in 'live'. Upgrade is now waiting for a suitable "maintenance window", i.e. wife & kids being away for a weekend