Thread: After Flash 11.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

After Flash 11.2

While doing a bit of internetting, I came across some interesting inpho:
    NOTE: Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux.
    Okay, so Adobe will comtinue to give us security backports for the 11.2 line, but what about the replacement technology? What will it be, and will it play nice with Linux?

I don't really like using the Windows 7 on my laptop. I haven't kept up with security issues, but I find Windows clunky anyway. Will Flash on Linux be replaced with something good? Is this the HTML5 I keep hearing about? And is this going to be a natural fit rather than something shoe-horned into place?

Cheers! Tango Zero Papa.
    Last edited by t0p; October 8th, 2013 at 07:16 PM. Reason: to put in a link
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: After Flash 11.2

Chrome (Google) will continue to package and offer the latest Flash through its Pepper Flash plugin, Firefox, on the other hand, will use Shumway, it seems.

Hopefully Flash will die sooner than later and be replaced with HTML5.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This may help with the acceptance of HTML5 as a replacement for Flash or Silverlight.

Summary: Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the world wide web and director of the web standards body W3C, has rejected calls not to bake support for DRM into the web mark-up language HTML
    http://www.zdnet.com/world-wide-web-...ch-7000021525/

This is a controversial step but one that's probably necessary to garner the support of Big Media.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Flash is all but dead in linux, luckiliy there is goodgle chrome with pepperflash to fill in the gap (for now)
    And if you hate chrome, firefox is well underway with Shumway, shumway will hopefully wipe out the need for flashplayer in linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yep CHROME (not Chromium) always gives you the latest adobe flash through it's pepperflash plug in (they have an agreement with adobe for that on ALL platforms including Linux)...