Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues with unity

Beans

Arrow Issues with unity

Before I d/l ubuntu I just wanted to ask about three points with unity that I am wondering if they have changed or not.Is the desktop switcher still on the left panel rather than on the top?Does it still have these annoying popups from so called 'urgent' messages about running programs that invade your current desktop from applications running on other desktops?Lastly, is there an option to set the panel size to about lets say 20?Before I waste my time testing it... I'd like to know these three things upfront.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Issues with unity

Quote Originally Posted by lizbeth2 View Post
    Before I d/l ubuntu I just wanted to ask about three points with unity that I am wondering if they have changed or not.Is the desktop switcher still on the left panel rather than on the top?Does it still have these annoying popups from so called 'urgent' messages about running programs that invade your current desktop from applications running on other desktops?Lastly, is there an option to set the panel size to about lets say 20?Before I waste my time testing it... I'd like to know these three things upfront.
    Desktop switcher is on left in the launcher. I have no use for it so it got removed.

No popups. Laucher icon pulsates etc. I've got the unity launcher icon size set to 32 which is the minimum. Top panel is very thin something like 25.

You can test all this out on the live usb or dvd. No cd I'm afraid image is now too big.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

The Desktop switcher is not on the panel (in 13.04 and 13.10) but you can bring it back via the systemsettings (Backgroundsettings or something. Don't know what it is in English use Dutch version)
    The "urgent" messages: I don't know what you mean but I think you mean the systemerrors that come up. I think you can set it off but don't know directly how.
    The panel size can minimum set to 32. (Via Backgroundsettings)
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans

Thanks for the reply! I will wait until I can customize it to suit my needs. Otherwise I will stick with xfce or mate since those allow me to actually use my computer for my purposes.Much obliged for your help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

To put the workplace switcher in the Launcher in 13.10 we go to System Settings>Appearance>Behavior tab and tick a box. Also in System Settings>Appearance we can resize the Launcher icons to 32 without installing Compiz Configuration Settings Manager to do it. That is under the Look tab. There is also an On/Off switch to autohide the Launcher or not. It is also here in the Behavior tab to we tick to have a Desktop icon on the Launcher.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; October 8th, 2013 at 05:14 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Top panel is where it belongs not the left side panel.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lizbeth2 View Post
    Top panel is where it belongs not the left side panel.
    Not going to happen it's hard coded. The left side thingy is a launcher not a panel. I'd stick to what you're happy with.

Beans

Just for completeness -
    The actual min size of launcher icons in 13.04, 13.10 & likely 14.04 is 8. No one has seen fit to fix system settings > appearance ... to reflect this so it has to be done in either ccsm or dconf-editor.
    (only even sizes should be picked, odd sizes produce 'soft' icons

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Right....that isn't a panel you see on the left in unity...it is a DOCK (you know like the mac has....and actually what Xubuntu has by default, except theirs is on the bottom....Ubuntu's is hard coded to the left)...
    The Unity dock can be auto-hidden, reduced in size, and workspace switching added all by simple adjustments made in the APPEARANCE section of System Settings...

There is only one panel and that is located at the top (like on the mac) actually it's all very Mac-Like...

The idea is to put your favorite and most used apps on the Unity Dock (for quick 1 click access) and use the dash search (top button you see on the unity dock) for rarely used apps...
    Simple to use really...no, can't do tons of customization but that isn't the idea here...If you don't like a "mac-like" interface...then use a different desktop environment...personally, i love it and so do many here...
    takes a little getting use to perhaps...but some don't have the patience...
    Last edited by craig10x; October 9th, 2013 at 04:51 AM.

Beans

BTW, Ubuntu is defaulted to one desktop in 13.04(and 12.10?) so there is no desktop switcher by default either. To add virtual desktop install ccsm and set in from General > Desktop size.

See this to show workplace switcher.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/26051...space-in-13-04

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast