Thread: dual boot as security precaution?

Beans

Lightbulb dual boot as security precaution?

Warning NOOB Question!!!

Would a dual boot of two different Ubuntu distros help with security? Being a student I download a lot of PDFs and such for research one distro would be for that and the other a "safe mode" system were I would just copy and paste the quotes I needed by usb drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: dual boot as security precaution?

This is one of the few times a virtual machine might be of use. If you have a clean snapshot that you start up -- with ALL networking disabled -- each time you want to read a questionable document, the damage trojaned documents can do is much more limited. Also, being a snapshot, any changes get wiped each time, so you start fresh. Howeve, whether Qemu or VirtualBox is better I can't say.

Beans

Re: dual boot as security precaution?

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    This is one of the few times a virtual machine might be of use. If you have a clean snapshot that you start up -- with ALL networking disabled -- each time you want to read a questionable document, the damage trojaned documents can do is much more limited. Also, being a snapshot, any changes get wiped each time, so you start fresh. Howeve, whether Qemu or VirtualBox is better I can't say.
    I will definately be looking into Qemu and Virtual Box. Thanks for the info!