Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving files, not copy them

Beans

Moving files, not copy them

Since I reformatted, and updgraded to Ubuntu Studio 13.04, whenever I try to "move" a file into a folder, the system "copies" the file instead.

I am moving these files into a folder on the same desktop/partician as the original file.

Is there a setting I can change to fix this? It's a real pain to copy a file into a folder, and then have to delete the original file. Before the system would just move the file into the desired folder for me without creating a new copy.

Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Which progam?

So typing
    Code:
    mv some-file-name ~/target/directory/
    doesn't work?

Beans

Re: Which progam?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    So typing
    Code:
    mv some-file-name ~/target/directory/
    doesn't work?
    Thanks, but I use and prefer the "drag & drop" method over using commands.

I was able to do this before, and did not have a problem until I updated to the new version of Ubuntu Studio.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I can understand that, but we need to know which program you are using, right? Also, it would help to know if the CLI method is broken on your machine too. See the connection? Troubleshooting 101.

Thunar, Nautilus, or some other program? Also, the kernel could matter. What do the logs show?
    Last edited by TheFu; October 7th, 2013 at 06:25 PM.

Beans

Re: Moving files, not copy them

Don't know if Ubuntu Studio changed how all this works but in 13.04 Ubuntu a drag and drop is a move not a copy.

What happens when you do what we have to do in XFCE to do a move:

Select the file > Select the "Shift" key > then drag it to it's new location.

Beans

You should have permission on the source folder and the destination.Try right click on the folder and are you able to do "cut" option on the folder?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I can understand that, but we need to know which program you are using, right? Also, it would help to know if the CLI method is broken on your machine too. See the connection? Troubleshooting 101.

Thunar, Nautilus, or some other program? Also, the kernel could matter. What do the logs show?
    I was able to move a file with a command line using the Terminal (mv 13223.jpg ~/Boats).

Not being a command line person, I have no idea where it went, but it went somewhere. However, it's not in the Boats folder I have on my desktop!
    Last edited by Kanichiro; October 7th, 2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by srikanthganta View Post
    You should have permission on the source folder and the destination.Try right click on the folder and are you able to do "cut" option on the folder?
    Yes, I can select Cut. For some reason, I am not able to upload a screen shot of my right-click menu for you and it's tiny.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Don't know if Ubuntu Studio changed how all this works but in 13.04 Ubuntu a drag and drop is a move not a copy.

What happens when you do what we have to do in XFCE to do a move:

Select the file > Select the "Shift" key > then drag it to it's new location.
    Pressing the "Shift" key and dragging the file to a folder worked. This is a start!

Why would I suddenly need to use the Shift key to move things?

Is there a way to "fix" my operating system so I can just drag a file/item to a folder without having to press Shift everytime?

Beans

I want to thank everyone for their help with this.

Much appreciated!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast