Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which distro edition etc to replace 10.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Which distro edition etc to replace 10.04?

G'day,

I've been using Ubuntu 10.04 since it came out, but I think I am going to have to install again on another hard drive as I think this one is about to blow up. It's giving me error messages on startup regarding hard drive errors which I will typically just push I for ignore.

What has happened this time is that the screen has revereted to 1024 x 768 so it's looking pretty ominous.

Fortunately I have recently brought a new 1 TB hard drive seeing as they're so cheap these days and put it in the 3.5" floppy drive bay. That brings me to a total of 3 drives in this computer! I am currently backing up all the files off the ubunto 10.04 drive onto the new one.

The next question is, what to replace it with? I quite like 10.04, it's fast easy to use, and reliable. I put a newer version on my new netbook, but I'm not keen on this unity interface. It seems to be more like using a cellphone, however I don't use one of these smart phones or anything, I just like a traditional interface.

Should I be putting on some kind of ubuntu, or is there a different kind of linux which I might like instead?

I don't have a very high spec computer- it's an old intel P4 3.2 GHz, with 1.5 GB of ram, and an ATI Raedeon 9800? Graphics card. It runs pretty fast however on account of moores law, all computers have massive amounts of processing power these days.

Any advice would be great.

Cheers,

Sam

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Which distro edition etc to replace 10.04 -hard drive about to blow up.

Quote Originally Posted by TygerTung View Post

Should I be putting on some kind of ubuntu, or is there a different kind of linux which I might like instead?

I don't have a very high spec computer- it's an old intel P4 3.2 GHz, with 1.5 GB of ram, and an ATI Raedeon 9800? Graphics card. It runs pretty fast however on account of moores law, all computers have massive amounts of processing power these days.
    Hi,

Xubuntu or Lubuntu should be ideal for you however no doubt you will get plenty of suggestions.

Cheers and good luck -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Are Xubuntu and Lubuntu using a more conventional type interface?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Are Xubuntu and Lubuntu using a more conventional type interface?
    Speaking for myself, I would say yes, - I run xubuntu 13.04 and love it - to be upgraded to 13.10 very soon 'tho.

Cheers -

Edit : You could burn an ISO of both Xubuntu and Lubuntu to see how they run on your setup!
    Last edited by BlinkinCat; October 7th, 2013 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Added edit
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Righto, that sounds great, I'll put it on tommorow night.

Beans

Lubuntu 13.04 (current, another coming out within a month probably), 32 bit version. It's very light weight and should work well on your machine. Compared to 10.04 (which was a GREAT edition imo [no h for me]) the panels lack hide buttons is about worst thing I can say about it. I keep meaning to work up a script to give it some. Compensating for that though is the fact they are a little more flexible in terms of geometry. I don't believe there is any way to edit the standard menu anywhere near as easy as a la carte. That doesn't bother me as much as it might because I mostly use the Openbox menu, which is totally editable but doesn't include programs automatically when you install them. You might want to look at the various Mints. They support the Mate Desktop Environment which is much like the gnome 2 that you like in 10.04. I can personally vouch for debian version of Mint, LMDE with the Mate DE. Lubuntu might give better results because it's much lighter, depending on what you do. If you find yourself running low on RAM or your cpu usage often climbs to 100% and slows your system down like molasses in January Lubuntu would probably be the better of the two. Otherwise, I think you'd like Mate and it is easier to install and better supported on any of the Mints. You might get the Mate DE in a lighter weight distro with Salix, or PClinuxOS, neither of which I have enough experience with to comment intelligently on, or with some Puppy which I know only by reputation. The rep is good though.
    ---------------
    Gee, you guys type fast. This had 0 replies when I started. Y'all must use more than one finger. There ought to be a rule agin it.
    Last edited by Dreamer Fithp Apprentice; October 7th, 2013 at 09:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Which distro edition etc to replace 10.04?

Hi,

When I came to moving on from Ubuntu 10.04 I used both Lubuntu and Xubunbtu.

After a month or so I decided on Xubuntu. There were a few features I did not like or could not get to work with Lubuntu - PyNeighboured being one of them. I need to access Samba shares on various Linux and Window machines. It never worked for me in Lubuntu but in Xubuntu Samba connections worked straight out of the box.

The other thing to note is that Xubuntu offers a LTS (long term support) like Ubuntu does, but I believe Lubuntu does not.
    Last edited by Azdour; October 7th, 2013 at 03:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Well I have put on Mint 'MATE' but it is running pretty slow, and the CPU is pretty much at 100% at all times for no reason, so I think I'll try out Xubuntu.

I'm actually thinking that if I don't like Xubuntu, I'll just put 10.04 back on as who really cares if it's not being updated, it still works fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

...who really cares if it's not being updated...
    You should care. No updates mean... "Hello world. My front door lock is broken, so come on in and help yourself to whatever you like."

No supported version of Ubuntu is going to run well on your box. It is lacking the resources that Ubuntu takes for granted to be present in an even moderately powerful modern system. Unity is entirely 3D after 12.04, so you no longer even have the fallback option of Unity 2D. Like BlinkinCat, I strongly recommend that you stick to Xubuntu. Lubuntu will be even faster, but it looks very yesteryear--little better than Win XP. It is actually the best choice in terms of resource usage, but you will have to accept its Spartan interface if you want a fast system.

You are better off with another distro entirely rather than an end-of-life version. Try CrunchBang, Bodhi, Puppy or SliTaz, but do not stay with 10.04 unless you like the idea of being owned.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    .... Lubuntu will be even faster, but it looks very yesteryear--little better than Win XP. It is actually the best choice in terms of resource usage, but you will have to accept its Spartan interface if you want a fast system.
    Not really. It can be "prettified" without too much overhead and still be fast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast