Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is still too complicated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Ubuntu is still too complicated

Quote Originally Posted by ExSuSEusr View Post
    we still can't do simple tasks like watching a DVD or play a popular game without having to spend 12 hours researching how to tweek this or that.
    DVDs is a fair shout, but games needn't be an issue. If you're trying to play a Linux game on Ubuntu it should just work. The only time you'll run into trouble is if you're trying to shoehorn a Windows game into running on a system it's not designed for.

The availability and quality of proper Linux games has improved vastly in the last few years. You can now install Steam and play quality games like Portal and KSP with no hassle.

If you want to play Windows games, do yourself a favour and use Windows. Dual-boot is easy.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Dual boot was easy I don't find it so easy if I read what one has to do to dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 8 if that came pre-installed, certainly not for beginners.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Castigating Canonical or any other part of Linux because distributions still lack certain proprietary technologies is pointless and misdirected.

Proprietary tools are available in Windows and OS X because that's where the money is. Put aside all the paranoia and conspiracy theories about Microsoft, put aside all the implications of FOSS licensing, because the only reason businesses make products is to sell them.

Nor does it make any difference to argue that some Linux users would buy some of these products if they were available. That's not very convincing. You'd need to convince a business that the return they will get from Linux is greater that the return they'd get from expending the same resources on Windows/OS X.

That's the state of affairs on Linux. The only thing that will change it is the arrival of cross-platform open technologies that are not tied to specific vendors *and* that work better on Windows than current closed tech (otherwise Windows folks won't adopt them and they will fail).

Beans

what could be easier? I have two friends that have kids. Both are 11. I have given both laptops with mint 13 installed and added the edubuntu packages. Both
    logged in and never looked back. Not even a how do i question yet. but i expect that at some point. I recently bought an hp 57xx desktop to use with my tv. installed 3 gb of ram installed mint 13 and been using it since , dvds, both commercial and ones i burned, hulu . no problems.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Arrow Re: Ubuntu is still too complicated

Quote Originally Posted by ExSuSEusr View Post
    but I would pay for a version of Ubuntu that I didnt have to spend 15 freaking hours trying to "adjust it" just to watch a freaking DVD.
    I have used Linux for 10 years. Ubuntu for several of those.
    In all that time, I have never ever spent 19 hours to make it play a DVD,
    I put the dvd in the drive, and it plays...No command line involved, no hours of fiddling.

1. Install restricted extras package from the software center.

2.Install VLC media player if you want an additional player than Movie Player.

I'm not getting where Ubuntu is hard to use..I have not found any distros hard to use or complicated that I have tried.
    Last edited by Linuxratty; October 9th, 2013 at 02:22 AM.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro

Ubuntu? Complicated? You want complicated try to navigate the waters of the scourge that is known as "Installing Arch!" Volumes have been written on that subject alone that make War and Peace look like a Frog and Toad book from way back when I was a kid!

Beans

What is the prob with DVD? Install libdvdcss2 and libdvdread and you are done. BTW Windows8 doesn't play DVD out of the box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Allavona View Post
    ...You want complicated try to navigate the waters of the scourge that is known as "Installing Arch!" Volumes have been written on that subject alone that make War and Peace look like a Frog and Toad book from way back when I was a kid!
    ...pwah! Arch is child's play, a walk in the park, a ride in dreamland compared with installing Gentoo.

Don't believe me? Just try it. I dares ya. I doubles dares ya.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just let me jump.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    ...pwah! Arch is child's play, a walk in the park, a ride in dreamland compared with installing Gentoo.

Don't believe me? Just try it. I dares ya. I doubles dares ya.
    One could always do Linux from scratch as well

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Beans
    Distro

I can understand where you are coming from.

After spending 10 + hours, googling, tweaking, and reading...well Skype still has a green screen and my brightness buttons don't work. It is definitely an annoyance. I will fix it one day (is my thought). I am just not knowledgeable yet to do so (I guess).

I love Ubuntu and despite its quirks...I wouldn't go back, there are two many positives I have gotten out of it.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast