Thread: Chrome or Firefox?

Beans

Chrome or Firefox?

Hello all!!

Just a quick question for everyone: Which browser do you prefer to use? Chrome or Firefox? And why? Do you see a distinct advantage of one over another?

I've installed Chrome simply because that's what I'm used to.

This question may have been done to death already, but a quick search didn't seem to pull up this specific topic. If I overlooked it, I apologize in advance.

Thanks again,

Nathan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Chrome or Firefox?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2132202
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1955378

Above topics may give you an idea, however, both the browser have there +ve and -ve, I prefer firefox and little un-comfortable with flash when compared to chrome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I always use firefox, however I think that it is all about personal preference. I use it for a very long time and that's why I prefer it and not Chrome. Just got used to it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

i have to use both for work but i use chrome mostly at home but just because i have gmail and use alot of the google apps.
    ***Screw work I'm going drag racing***

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Chrome for me....it's the only one that gets the latest adobe flash on linux (pepper flash) a cool built in pdf reader and adds a ppa to your software sources that gets you each new version the day it is released...Also, to me, it has the best web page rendering of all the browsers available for linux

Oh yes, and i also like many of the chrome extensions that are offered too...
    Last edited by craig10x; March 4th, 2014 at 06:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I trust Mozilla five times more than Google, and thats reason enough for me to use Firefox. The addons for Firefox are more able to modify the UI, Firefox can be made to use much less screen space, and Firefox uses much much less memory because it is not multithreaded. I have 16GB of memory so that really doesnt matter I guess. Chrome is a good browser. I dont like its UI personally, but it works well.

Im just holding my breath until Google pulls the plug on Mozilla's income. Once Firefox becomes unusable, Ill switch to Uzbl or Opera out of spite. That day will suck though- Ive been using Firefox since early version 2...

I might be cynical or ignorant here. I think after a while it seems some people just have to hate on something thats established. It doesnt matter how good or bad it is- it has to be hated on. Firefox had a good many reasons to hate it- it was slow, slow, not very stable, bloated, slow and slow. Chrome crushed it on speed, and Mozilla changed Firefox to compete. That was good. Unfortunately, Firefox is eternally stuck with this reputation even though now speed differences are inperceivable. An exception is startup time, at least when not using an SSD drive.

I honestly dont understand why Firefox has so thoroughly nose-dived in popularity. Its a great web browser...
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I use whichever one isn't giving me issues on my current Linux distro lol!

Seriously though, I use a chromebook so chrome is my preferred choice as I've got my Google account with all my web crap synced up. If I have problems with Chrome or whatever though, I use Firefox as my fallback. I used to prefer Firefox but it is just much easier sticking with Chrome now since I do use Chrome OS regularly. I'm on Iceweasel ATM as I haven't been able to get Chrome to play nice with my Debian install.
    Xubuntu - Elegance and Ease of Use
    Debian -The Universal Operating System

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use both. Firefox as the default running noscript, adblock, ghostery. A few sites are crippled unless I allow all the crap - nfl.com is an example. For those I use chromium.