Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Like Ubuntu, but not unity! Choices?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Like Ubuntu, but not unity! Choices?

Greetings, I like Ubuntu and being part of the community and it's very well supported world , but I can't stomach unity. I hostly don't care for it at all. What would you suggest to try? I like xubuntu but worry it's not as well supported as ubuntu. I tired kubutu and don't care for it's user interface. Mint is good but it's not really under the same roof as xubuntu and ubuntu My system is 3.33Ghz Pentium Dual Core 4gb RAM not bleeding edge but still pretty fast.

Can you use xubuntu for a daily OS? Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Like Ubuntu, but not unity! Choices?

+1 Xubuntu. Or at least try installing the Xfce desktop on your Ubuntu. You can select it at login to check it out to see for yourself. I have no issues with support.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans

Same election, try XFCE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

To try XFCE use the following and select it at login. XFCE can be made to look very nice with minimal effort once you know your way around.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xfce4-goodies
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

I would suggest that you try Xubuntu.
    Actually, Xubuntu, Lubuntu and Kubuntu are all worth a try, all different and it's mainly a matter of taste.
    But my personal preference us for Xubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Another vote for Xubuntu. I used gnome 2 Lucid until it lost support in April this year, then updated (actually clean installed) to Xubuntu 12.04, which is now fully updated with several ppa repositories, so I'm using XFCE 4.10, GIMP 2.8, and several other applications not in the default 12.04 repos.

I am extremely happy with it and I now wonder why I didn't try it, and therefore probably use it, before then.

Beans
    Hidden!

Install gnome-session-fallback, log out then log back in choosing gnome-classic.

Beans

Xubuntu is a sane choice for those of us Unity refuseniks. (Or more bluntly, "Keep your touchscreen interface off my desktop!")

I actually run Debian/xfce, and use Xubuntu for VM's to do packaging/experimentation.
    xfce has its own compositor, but I prefer to turn that off and use compton, as it looks a bit more polished and solved my video tearing problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Greetings all, Thanks for all the help and advice. I installed the current LTS of Ubuntu to try it out of the box again, still dislike Unity. Tried installing the xfce4 per frogs hair post. Found the interface too crud. So I wiped and installed the current LTS of Xbuntu and I am in hog heaven. So So much better then Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint I would consider crude to Xbuntu. I am a fan of MAC OS X and I can see a lot of that in the Ubuntu family and even more so in Xbuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Glad to hear you like xubuntu and are happy...

I did just want to mention though that Unity is also very mac-like with it's auto-hiding dock (granted it is on the left instead of the bottom), global menu top panel and dash search...
    Perhaps you just needed to get use to it a bit...when Unity first came out it had a lot of haters who now actually use and enjoy it...also it has improved a lot over the past few ubuntu versions...
    I was lukewarm to it myself when it was first introduced and gave it a second try and after about 2 weeks came to enjoy it very much...

I used the Mac for about a year after leaving windows but before discovering Linux and Ubuntu...so i can relate to being a fan of MAC OSX...and liking the "Mac way" of doing things...

You can also make the unity icons a lot smaller in the appearance settings and adjust the sensitivity of the dock appearing... (i shrink mine to 38 pixels because i think it looks a lot better like that)
    It's on the left for a number of reasons...partly because it seems to make more sense given the fact that most people use wide screen displays these days...but also because it needs to be uniform to work across many different platforms (like tablet/touchscreen/phones/tvs/etc)...that is why it is called UNITY (lol)...

But anyway, enjoy xubuntu...
    Last edited by craig10x; October 7th, 2013 at 05:09 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast