Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you install applications?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How do you install applications?

Quote Originally Posted by zRW8b6z View Post
    When I was getting GOogle Chromium from the software center I was stopped with this error:
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:

chromium-browser: Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1) but 1:4.6.3-1ubuntu5 is to be installed
    Depends: libudev0 (>= 147) but 175-0ubuntu9.4 is to be installed
    Depends: zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg) but 1:1.2.3.4.dfsg-3ubuntu4 is to be installed

How do you think I could fix it?
    Those dependency complaints seem nonsensical. In all three cases, the versions to be installed are newer than the minimum requirement.

It looks like you've tried installing Chromium (which for the record isn't Google signed), but you haven't tried Google Chrome. I would suggest you try downloading and installing from Google's website. You want the Debian/Ubuntu version, not the Fedora/RedHat version. Ubuntu should open the .deb file you download with USC, and installing from there should point-and-click easy. It will add Chrome's repository to your source list, so after that, updates will be handled automatically by Ubuntu's package management system.

By the way, not all software in the repositories is open source. The Restricted and Multiverse repos are made of closed-source software. Skype and Chrome were probably both excluded because they are proprietary software.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    You will find Chromium but not Chrome. I guess the reason for this is that those applications may be free but they are not open source. And that is a big difference in Ubuntu.
    I've been away from Ubuntu since I first tried to upgrade to 12.10. It was an upgrade attempt that went sour, then, I became very busy in my day job (that forces me to the Windows side of things), and just never got around to re-installing until this morning when I finally installed 13.04 on my machine.

I quickly searched 'chrom' and installed Chromium without even noticing that it isn't Google Chrome, LOL. It works just fine, however, so, I'm in no hurry to download Goggle's version.

The "Software Center" has truly simplified acquisition/installation of software in Ubuntu.

You type some interest in the search bar and up comes any number of choices for you to review. If you want to try something, click the "Install" button and give it a go. If you decide that item isn't really for you, just go back to the "Software Center", search for the item again, click "remove" and it is cleanly uninstalled. How elegant.

Newb85, you didn't state what brought you to try Ubuntu, but for me, it was during one of those times when my Windows machine had gunked up and wasn't working properly, and I had decided that a rebuild would be easier than trying to deal with all the problems. In those days (not all that long ago, really), I configured my Windows machine for easy re-build, making certain to keep all data where it was safe from anticipated re-installations (I don't really blame Windows for these system gunk issues. Getting viruses or getting tangled up by trying bunches of new things just seemed the norm with Windows in those days).

At any rate, during one of these periods, I decided, what the heck, I think I'll try a different operating system just for fun.

Installed the current version of Ubuntu (6.04, I beleive), and was just swept away that such a sophisticated OS could be had for free.

Which (finally) brings me to the point. When first working with Ubuntu, like you, I could not figure out how to do anything. Couldn't figure out how the @!#$ you install software, etc.

My brain was totally wrapped around the Windows way of doing things (not saying that yours is, however).

Then, as now, this forum existed to help me rapidly gain the knowledge necessary to make working in Ubuntu as simple as could be.

Today, if you like simplicity, nothing could be more straightforward than the "Software Center." If you want to tinker under the hood, you can still do so, and you will, like me, find all manner of help available to you on this forum.

I still don't consider myself an expert, but I love playing and working (whenever possible) in Ubuntu, and I would like to welcome you to this new OS, this forum, and the Linux world.

I assume you come from Windows, and I think that, as you gain experience with Ubuntu, you will find much that enriches your Windows experience, as well.

I can 'blame' Ubuntu for introducing me to open source office suites and, perhaps the most valuable to me, The Gimp, which is an open source photographic editing application (ironically, no longer integrated into the Ubuntu installation, but still just a click away in the "Software Center.")

I apologize for the length of this post (I didn't intend to be so lengthy when I started).

Happy computing, and welcome once again.

Caruso

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

@zRW8b6z, What version of Ubuntu is installed on your computer?
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

For Chrome...just go to google's web site and get the appropriate linux deb file (64 bit or 32 bit depending on your computer)....save the deb file and go to your download folder in the file manager....
    right click and select "install using ubuntu software center" it will install it for you and you are all set....

To find Chrome, open the dash search and start typing the name Chrome...you will see it...click it to open chrome...then lock the chrome icon on your unity dock using the right click...

You will be all set with Chrome..easy as can be!

Chromium that is in the Ubuntu software center does not have the built in flash plug in and pdf reader which Chrome does have...also Chrome will send automatic updated versions to your software updater...
    Last edited by craig10x; October 7th, 2013 at 03:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by carusoswi View Post
    Newb85, you didn't state what brought you to try Ubuntu, but for me, it was during one of those times when my Windows machine had gunked up and wasn't working properly, and I had decided that a rebuild would be easier than trying to deal with all the problems. In those days (not all that long ago, really), I configured my Windows machine for easy re-build, making certain to keep all data where it was safe from anticipated re-installations (I don't really blame Windows for these system gunk issues. Getting viruses or getting tangled up by trying bunches of new things just seemed the norm with Windows in those days).
    No, I didn't. It didn't occur to me to state that, and if it had, it would have seemed off-topic.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12