Thread: Rolling release?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Rolling release?

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best place, but what happens to 13.04 when 13.10 is released? If it's a 'rolling release', then does that mean 13.04 will be automatically upgraded? If not, what happens?

Cheers
    Windows free since '09 - never looked back!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Rolling release?

It isn't a rolling release.

When 13.10 is released you'll get notified in the update manager of a new version which you can either ignore or not.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

what happens to 13.04 when 13.10 is released?
    Ubuntu 13.04 will continue to have about 3 months more support and then it will reach end of life (support). Ubuntu 13.10 will have 9 months support and the reach end of life. But development continues with the aim of producing the future Ubuntu 14.04. All this you know. If Ubuntu ever has a kind of rolling release version it will be the development branch that will play the part of a rolling release. We wait and see.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Basically, development is considered the rolling release (by the developers as well as Mark Shuttleworth)...normally, the testers here change their source lists so they start getting updates for the next development version (that is the way the have been rolling with it)...However, one of the ubuntu developers created a "symlink file" that would enable one to transistion to each new development release automatically without having to manually change the source lists...

However, there is some kinks he has to iron out with it, and since he is busy with the normal development stuff he has to do, he works on that on the side, so he may not have it ready in time for the 13.10 to 14.04 change over in development...

I have been in 13.10 development myself but have decided to "roll" with ubuntu stable instead...so, what i will do is just upgrade as each final version of ubuntu comes out...

To go from 13.04 to 13.10 development i did my first UPGRADE (previously had only done clean installs) using the iso image installer on the ubuntu disc...it worked out so well for me i decided to continue to use that method...it's fast and did a great job of carrying over all my data and most of my programs...a few tweaks and everything was great...and it was FAST (much faster then using the Software Updater upgrader...

So you may want to consider using that method to "roll"...unless you want to run development all the time...
    Though if you do, always have your important data (documents, photos, music, etc) "backed up" (i keep mine on an external usb flash drive) just in case
    Last edited by craig10x; October 6th, 2013 at 03:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    ......So you may want to consider using that method to "roll"...unless you want to run development all the time...
    Though if you do, always have your important data (documents, photos, music, etc) "backed up" (i keep mine on an external usb flash drive) just in case
    That's me. Yes I've got a library to save stuff, a couple unstable ubuntu development partitions, additional partitions with 13.04, 12.04, even 10.10 and Peppermint or whatever interesting shows up in Distro Watch. Oh, yes, this is a USB SSD drive. The built-in hard drive has various stable linux and Windows 7. I'm a hobbyist, Haven't tried ubuntu on my chromebook C70 yet maybe when 13.10 settles down and 14.04 isn't doing much yet. Ubuntu on tablets seems to be headed for iphones or Nexus not my Samsung Galaxy or Nook HD+.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    It isn't a rolling release.

When 13.10 is released you'll get notified in the update manager of a new version which you can either ignore or not.
    You can ignore it until January 2014 when 13.04 reaches EOL (End Of Life). Then you must upgrade in order for you to have a supported version of Ubuntu.