Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VLC player stopped playing DVDs. What's wrong?

Beans

Re: VLC player stopped playing DVDs. What's wrong?

A more generalized solution:

Code:
    cd ~/
    wget http://download.videolan.org/pub/ubuntu/`lsb_release -c -s`/libdvdcss2_1.2.13-0_`dpkg --print-architecture`.deb
    sudo dpkg -i libdvdcss2*

Beans

Updated libdvdread4 packages were released today for 12.04,12.10 & 13.04 so the script will again work fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    @euanbuntu: You're making it overly difficult...
    Code:
    cd ~/
    wget http://download.videolan.org/pub/ubuntu/raring/libdvdcss2_1.2.13-0_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.13-0_amd64.deb
    Thanks for this.

To be honest, I haven't the first idea of what I am or am not doing - I'm simply asking for help

Beans

Thumbs up Re: VLC player stopped playing DVDs. What's wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Well-well... now I can see what the sudden fuss about DVDs is all about. That script (the older version that most of us have) tries to pull the packages from the same medibuntu repo that is now closed. So even though *I* didn't add medibuntu repos, the packages eventually came from there.

Fortunately, there is a fix that mc4man already pointed to. You need to follow the instructions in his post he linked to in post #12 : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12812210

In short,
    Enable "Proposed" repos > Install/Upgrade "libdvdread4" to upgrade the script > disable the "Proposed" repos > run the script again -
    Code:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    ..and come back to say thanks to mc4man (all credit goes to mc4man, I get none )!

Hello and thank you to everyone - can't remember if I said so before, but I'm fairly new to ubuntu and getting one's head around the commands is quite a thing and so to thave the support here is fantastic. Now I'm going to find a ubuntu guide and learn exactly what both of you mc4man and temujin have just walked me through!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by euanbuntu2 View Post
    Now I'm going to find a ubuntu guide and learn exactly what both of you mc4man and temujin have just walked me through!
    Like mc4man mentioned in his last post (and I just verified from here), the updated package has been added to the "universe" repository. So just do an update/upgrade with the following commands -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    ..then run the script again (which would be a fixed version now) -
    Code:
    sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh
    This time, the script will use videolan site, not medibuntu, for downloading the required packages.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

Varun thank you I'm totally new to this whole Ubuntu universe (less than a week) dvd's are now playing but still no luck with blue ray's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123