Thread: Installing Ubuntu difficult. Installing Ubuntu with full disk encryption impossible.

Beans

Installing Ubuntu difficult. Installing Ubuntu with full disk encryption impossible.

I have being using Ubuntu for several years, have installed it multiple times with no hassel, and have run into a weird problem:

First, I needed to install Windows over Ubuntu, so I did. About a day later, I tried to reinstall Ubuntu over Windows, so I did. I chose the full disk encryption option. When I tried to boot, I was met with a black screen and a blinking cursor. I booted using a liveUSB, and used the boot-repair utility. It did not help. Then I reinstall Ubuntu again, this time with no encryption, and got the cursor again. I livebooted, used boot-repair, and rebooted. Success! But how the heck to I install with full disk encryption?

Summary: I can boot into Ubuntu, but only if I use boot-repair and don't use full disk encryption. What's up?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Installing Ubuntu difficult. Installing Ubuntu with full disk encryption impossib

Welcome to the forums.

Is this Windows 8 and UEFI not BIOS type install?

Full disk encryption uses LVM as logical partitions over the physical partitions. I do not know LVM as it adds a layer of complexity as does encryption.
    And it will not be full disk encryption as LVM will not work with Windows.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.