Thread: Installing Ubuntu difficult. Installing Ubuntu with full disk encryption impossible.

Beans

Installing Ubuntu difficult. Installing Ubuntu with full disk encryption impossible.

I have being using Ubuntu for several years, have installed it multiple times with no hassel, and have run into a weird problem:

First, I needed to install Windows over Ubuntu, so I did. About a day later, I tried to reinstall Ubuntu over Windows, so I did. I chose the full disk encryption option. When I tried to boot, I was met with a black screen and a blinking cursor. I booted using a liveUSB, and used the boot-repair utility. It did not help. Then I reinstall Ubuntu again, this time with no encryption, and got the cursor again. I livebooted, used boot-repair, and rebooted. Success! But how the heck to I install with full disk encryption?

Summary: I can boot into Ubuntu, but only if I use boot-repair and don't use full disk encryption. What's up?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Installing Ubuntu difficult. Installing Ubuntu with full disk encryption impossib

Welcome to the forums.

Is this Windows 8 and UEFI not BIOS type install?

Full disk encryption uses LVM as logical partitions over the physical partitions. I do not know LVM as it adds a layer of complexity as does encryption.
    And it will not be full disk encryption as LVM will not work with Windows.
    Oldfred on vacation. Back Sept 9. Will not have much if any Internet access.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.