Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic Question about Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Basic Question about Ubuntu

To speak a little more on my own behalf, I sought to prevent propagation of the erroneous (but widespread) notion that "Windows got there first." This manifests itself in comments I've heard such as this doozie: "Since Linux has a Windows key, you guys are obviously ripping them off." Most newcomers don't know, or even care, that Windows is a borrowing from the Macintosh gui, which in turn is a borrowing from work done at PARC, which incorporates the xwindows system used in Linux today. It's just genuinely, sincerely painful that people can't see beyond marketing stunts, and the nonsense uttered by Microsoft's paid flacs. End of soapbox rant, and an apology to anyone who took my words the wrong way. Like everyone else I have a lot to learn.
    Last edited by whitesmith; October 5th, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by whitesmith View Post
    To speak a little more on my own behalf, I sought to prevent propagation of the erroneous (but widespread) notion that "Windows got there first." This manifests itself in comments I've heard such as this doozie: "Since Linux has a Windows key, you guys are obviously ripping them off." Most newcomers don't know, or even care, that Windows is a borrowing from the Macintosh gui, which in turn is a borrowing from work done at PARC, which incorporates the xwindows system used in Linux today. It's just genuinely, sincerely painful that people can't see beyond marketing stunts, and the nonsense uttered by Microsoft's paid flacs. End of soapbox rant, and an apology to anyone who took my words the wrong way. Like everyone else I have a lot to learn.
    Notwithstanding the, ehrr, charged passion (which I hope doesn't raise the ire of the mods), I agree with everything you've said. But I still use Windows and Apples. They have their uses, and didn't start out full of FUD and disinformation.

Beans

Thanks a lot guys.That was very helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Unity has been the desktop on ubuntu since 11.04 so i can't see how he would have installed it to avoid unity...in fact, i am assuming he likes it....
    I would suggest to him that he install 13.10 after Oct 17th when it is released as it is really excellent and has many improvements over that old 11.10 he is using...
    and also because that 11.10 no longer gets updates...

Beans

I'm a little confused. I tried Alt+SysReq, and it just restarted the computer without warning. My programs didn't save or stay open, so it's just as good as a hard shutdown.

If I can't open the terminal (because the system is frozen), is there a way to salvage it, or do I just have to lose all my work because one app (often the software center) froze?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The <Alt>+<SysReq> method is a shutdown/reboot cycle. It just does it in a way that properly shuts down files and system resources, and flushes caches so that nothing gets corrupted (vs just yanking out the power cord). It most definitely does not save your work for you. It is not elegant, was not meant to be, and is a last-ditch method to free up a frozen computer. If you want to exercise finer kill control, you must use the methods I already explained in my previous post.

EDIT

Apologies. Just re-read your latest post. You mention that you cannot even bring up a terminal. In that case, try <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1> to switch to a completely separate bash shell. If it works, be warned that you will be in a stark command line environment. At first it is intimidating, but with time and practice it is not bad at all. Login to the bash shell and do the ps/kill commands I've already given instructions on. If you cannot even <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1>, then one last alternative is to ssh into your frozen box from another computer--the method I described at the end of my post. Only if all else fails should you <Alt>+<Sysreq>. And to be absolutely clear, whether you <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Delete>, <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Backspace>, or <Alt>+<Sysreq>, you will lose any unsaved work. None of these methods are elegant. They are meant to kill a balky DE, which includes all programs running within it.

If you continually get a frozen system from running certain programs, that is a different matter that should be addressed in a different thread.

/EDIT
    Last edited by DuckHook; October 6th, 2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts

Beans

Great!!! That's better than what I hoped. The only problem now is that I can't log in. I have tried numerous times with the same login/password I use when I start up Ubuntu. Is there some trick to this?
    Thanks for all your help btw.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Prime624 View Post
    The only problem now is that I can't log in. I have tried numerous times with the same login/password I use when I start up Ubuntu. Is there some trick to this?
    Do you mean that you can't log in when you do <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1>? If so, then that's a real head-scratcher. You should be able to log in. In fact, it makes no sense that you can log in to a GUI session, but not a CLI session. There's no trick to it and you now have me stumped.

Are you sure you don't have CAPSLOCK on? Linux is case-sensitive, so any difference even in case will gum up your login. Therefore, make sure that your login ID is exactly the same. Also your password. Be careful about logging in as DuckHook in the GUI, but Duckhook in the CLI (lower case 'h'). That's really the only advice I can give on this problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by Prime624 View Post
    Great!!! That's better than what I hoped. The only problem now is that I can't log in. I have tried numerous times with the same login/password I use when I start up Ubuntu. Is there some trick to this?
    Thanks for all your help btw.
    You meant when you use Ctrl+Alt+F1 ?
    U see nothing when you type your password not even "stars". You must type it "blind" after you see 'password:' And than click Enter.
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Do you mean that you can't log in when you do <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F1>? If so, then that's a real head-scratcher. You should be able to log in. In fact, it makes no sense that you can log in to a GUI session, but not a CLI session. There's no trick to it and you now have me stumped.

Are you sure you don't have CAPSLOCK on? Linux is case-sensitive, so any difference even in case will gum up your login. Therefore, make sure that your login ID is exactly the same. Also your password. Be careful about logging in as DuckHook in the GUI, but Duckhook in the CLI (lower case 'h'). That's really the only advice I can give on this problem.
    That's what it was. My login is "Brexton", but in CLI I use "brexton". That's weird. Oh well. Thanks again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast