Thread: Installing Doom w/ multiplayer and custom wads to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Beans

Installing Doom w/ multiplayer and custom wads to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

I want to install a version of Doom 2 to my computer and was wondering how to go about doing this. I currently have Doom 3 BFG Edition which has Doom 2 as part of the collection, but im not sure if that will work with multiplayer and custom wads. Are there any versions of Doom or Doom 2 that will run on linux the way I would like?

Beans

Re: Installing Doom w/ multiplayer and custom wads to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS

Pardon my ignorance, buy isn't Doom2 a DOS game that you could use DOSbox to emulate?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've always been a fan of Doom Legacy which improves the graphics of the Doom games a great deal. Doom Legacy is cross-platform too: http://doomlegacy.sourceforge.net/legacy.shtml

I have just about all the older versions of Doom and they all run perfectly for me in Kubuntu 12.04.
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

After some confusion trying to find the latest stable Linux version (that doesn't need to be compiled) I found the link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/doom...ar.gz/download

Just extract this file into the directory you're Doom stuff is already in. I use a startup script (DoomLegacy.sh) to run the lsdldoom file. The Windows version of Legacy includes the launcher.exe program which makes starting Doom Legacy a snap when there are multiple .wad files present (I haven't tried running Doom Legacy in Wine as I prefer to run the native Linux version). As a quick and dirty workaround I wrote the following script. The script includes code to turn off and then back on the Gnome2 screen saver (I have disabled this because it doesn't work in Kubuntu and it may not work in more recent versions of Ubuntu):

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# If there are multiple .wad files in this directory you need to rename all but the one you wish
    # to play to something like <wad name>.wad.doom.
    # To choose which .wad file to use (doom.wad, doom2.wad, plutonia.wad or tnt.wad)
    # simply rename the desired .wad file. Make sure to only have one .wad file active at
    # any time. Exception: Leave doom3.wad as is (it is used by Legacy in some way).

# Turn off the screensaver (in Gnome2)
    # gconftool-2 -s /apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_activation_enabled --type bool false

cd "/home/rod/Games/Doom 1, 2, TNT, Final & Ultimate"
    ./lsdldoom -opengl &
    wait

# Turn screensaver back on (in Gnome2)
    # gconftool-2 -s /apps/gnome-screensaver/idle_activation_enabled --type bool true
    "Oh Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system!" - Sheldon Cooper, The Big Bang Theory.

Beans

This seems to be what im looking for, thanks Rod J

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

there are also various such crossplatform engines that run old doom and wads. jdoom, zdoom and their derivatives. i like the ones that give some openGL graphics to the game. makes it look even cooler than it was.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla