Thread: After a difficult installation...

Beans

After a difficult installation...

Hi guys, this is my first thread, so be patient if I did something wrong posting my problems here

In a few words this is the issue:

I wanted to install Ubuntu on my PC, but I had a problem, which ,I found out, is quite common.
    Everyone with a little bit of experience in the Ubuntu fixing world will understand what i'm talking about.
    Since I still don't know what kind of problem it is, I can only tell you that I had the monitor black after clicking on "Install Ubuntu", and in order to fix it had to modify the linux boot line adding "acpi=off apm=on". In this way the installation succeeded.
    Now when the OS boots it blocks, and again my monitor is freezed in black.
    Should I start Ubuntu writing every time "acpi=off apm=on"? Annoying...

I'm confident in your assistance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: After a difficult installation...

You can make the change permanent by editing your /etc/default/grub file. Open a terminal with Ctrl-Alt-t:

Code:
    sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.original

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    First command makes a backup copy of the file, second opens it in a text editor with admin privileges. Change the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=off apm=on"

Save the file, exit, and run
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    You should see the changes you want at next boot.

Beans

Thank you, this is quite helpful, but actually I was looking for a way to completely solve the problem.
    By typing the string "acpi=off apm=on" I can definitely and finally have Ubuntu on my PC, but I can't shut down the system, see the battery level, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It may seem to you that the issue is the same but is it? It could be an issue with the Video driver. There are a couple of things to try and you can do both at the Grub menu. With Ubuntu selected press E to enter Grub Edit mode and insert "acpi=off apm=on" in the line that says "quiet splash" and just before those words. Then boot by pressing F10 (I think) the instructions are at the bottom of the screen.

If the problem remains the same, then at the Grub menu select Recovery Mode. Assuming that you are using 13.04 you will find Recovery Mode in the Advanced Options sub-menu. At the Recovery menu select Resume and see if that gets you to a working desktop. If it does go to System Settings>Software and Updates>Additional Drivers tab and experiment with another video driver. This is for 13.04. It is different for 12.04.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

By typing the string "acpi=off apm=on" I can definitely and finally have Ubuntu on my PC, but I can't shut down the system, see the battery level, etc.
    I was looking for something else.
    Now i'm going to change video driver, let's pray...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

also post system specs (especially GPU, CPU, mothebaord, if laptop maybe model also. etc.): http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Problem magically and suddenly disappeared..
    BTW thank you everyone