Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Update failed. No further upgrades allowed.

Beans

failed upgrade

My apologies if this is a duplicate post. My system is very unstable following a failed upgrade attempt. I was on 12.4, I believe, and was trying to go to the most current release. The upgrade hung and I am stuck with a terribly unstable system. I have no idea how to proceed. It has taken almost 20 minutes just to type this plea for help, due to the slowness of my system now. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: failed upgrade

This information is not enough.

Any way you are in 12.04 , so that you can have a direct upgrade to 14.04 LTS
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by raja.genupula View Post
    This information is not enough.

Any way you are in 12.04 , so that you can have a direct upgrade to 14.04 LTS
    When it's released that is, and that is not for months yet.

The only upgrade you can do from 12.04 without upgrading with a clean install is to 12.10, NOT the latest release, which is 13.10. So we can presume that is what you are attempting, an in-system upgrade to 12.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Did you shutdown/reboot when the upgrade appeared to hang?
    Upgrades tend to have quite a few moments when the user needs to confirm a change.
    Such as a new samba configuration package/file, or something like that.
    It normally pops up a new window, but sometimes that window hides behind the upgrade window, or may even pop up in a different workspace.
    This of course is mere speculation, by me.

Seeing that the state you are now in is borked(or at least slow and clucky) I would assume that all the packages downloaded and the repositories have changed to the newer version.
    You might try seeing if the fix-broken packages command might fix the problem.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    Don't know if it'll work, but aside from trying, you might have to do a reinstall.
    If you reinstall backup your files.
    You can use the livecd to help do this, if it gets to that.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Update failed. No further upgrades allowed.

Your threads have been merged. Please do not start duplicate threads. Unsure why Old Grey Wolf advised you to start a new thread as you are getting plenty of help here. You dilute your chances of getting help by duplicating the same issue elsewhere.

As has been suggested, do a clean install of 12.04 easiest. Your latest post, as your previous, is a little ambiguous so just keep it simple and clean install.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 22nd, 2013 at 04:01 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Your threads have been merged. Please do not start duplicate threads. Unsure why Old Grey Wolf advised you to start a new thread as you are getting plenty of help here. You dilute your chances of getting help by duplicating the same issue elsewhere.

As has been suggested, do a clean install of 12.04 easiest. Your latest post, as your previous, is a little ambiguous so just keep it simple and clean install.
    That old report was an upgrade TO 12.4, not FROM 12.4. This was an attempt to upgrade FROM 12.4. Is the fix the same? I'm really not trying to re-raise that old issue, I just want to fix a new, to me, problem. My apologies if the posts appear to be the same issue, but the issue from October was fixed, and I was very grateful for the help.

It's fine to merge the threads, but I am worried that this might cloud the focus on my new problem.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dwjeanes2 View Post
    OK. What do I post in the new thread? Please let me know any commands to issue and post results from.

Would It be best to just do a clean re-install? I'm not really interested in exploring why this happened, I just want a stable system. Perhaps there is a more current Ubuntu version that I can upgrade to.
    This was your last post in this thread in October. It does not appear to be fixed. The thread is also not marked as solved, therefore, as far as I can tell, it wasn't.

Now you say you are in 12.04, you believe, but don't seem too sure. It doesn't sound like things have been going right for some time. You give no indication of what release you are, or were, attempting to upgrade to, or how, and no clue as to what actually went wrong, no detail of any errors or what you have done to try and fix. So ...

Either do a clean install of 12.04 LTS or 13.10. Both will upgrade to 14.04 LTS when it comes out and that is supported for five years.

I repeat, if you were running 12.04 LTS, and you don't seem certain of that, and trying to upgrade through update manager your only option would be to 12.10. That is supported for another six months and then you'll be doing this all over again. Whatever, a clean install will get you over this and back on track. Hopefully.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; December 22nd, 2013 at 04:58 AM.

Beans

Ok, my apologies that the previous thread was not closed. I did believe that I had stated that the problem had been resolved, but, evidently, I did not. My bad. I will just do a clean install of 13.10 for now.

Please mark this issue closed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you think the problem is solved, you can mark the thread as such:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123