Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mate or gnome 3 instead of unity

Beans

Mate or gnome 3 instead of unity

I was a user of Ubuntu till 10.04 after that because of unity I changed to debian6.
    Now I want to change back to Ubuntu but I still do not like the unity desktop, so I was wondering if there are any problems in installing and using Gnome 3 or Mate as a Desktop manager with Ubuntu.

Do I lose any of the functionality? Is there any software that depends on Unity to work?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Mate or gnome 3 instead of unity

How about adding xubuntu-desktop, or xfce4, instead of gnome? It's gtk based and can be made to look and feel very like gnome 2, but is more up to date, very stable, and unlike MATE, is not a fork of the old gnome 2 libraries etc etc.

Xuubuntu 12.04 was my refuge when Lucid lost GUI support for gnome, and I now wonder why I didn't move earlier, as I now love Xubuntu and doubt that I'll move away from it, unless, of course, xfce4 does what gnome 2 did!
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

I do not like very much xfce4 :s, but I can give it a try.

Does any one else know if there are problems with instaling another Desktop Manager like Gnome 3 or Mate?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You need to understand something. It is necessary for clarity. Ubuntu uses Gnome 3. It uses the Gnome 3 desktop environment. It does not use the Gnome 3 shell. If you do not like Unity then you should not like Gnome 3 shell. They are based upon similar principles.

The old desktop environment (Gnome 2) and its user interface (Gnome panel) are no longer being developed by the gnome organisation. Gnome switched desktop environments and user interfaces and so did Ubuntu. All that happened was that the two organisations had a different vision regarding user interfaces.

This being open source there are alternatives. It is your choice according to your taste.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

What I do not understand is how you can say that "If you do not like Unity then you should not like Gnome 3 shell. They are based upon similar principles." because to me they very different. First off all unity does not let me move the dock from the left side. And the like mac menu bar it is a good idea but does not work like on a mac because the applications are not made to work like that.

The (in my umbel opinion) perfect desktop environment was gnome 2 (hence me asking about mate). Call me old fashion but it worked perfectly the top and botom bars did not take a lot of space from the desktop and we could fit all the information and shortcut that we need on them. But this is not the point I want to get to.

"This being open source there are alternatives. It is your choice according to your taste."
    Yes that is one of the biutiful things I like on linux, and that is wy I am asking about changing from Unity or to gnome3 or to Mate. Obviously I prefer Mate to Gnome3 but I can manage with gnome3.

So again is there any problem with any application that comes with Ubuntu that might stop working (any dependencies) if I use Mate or Gnome3?

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

I have not used Mate, so no help there. But I do use gnome-classic in 12.04, which looks like the 10.04 desktop. To install it in 12.04:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pr...eClassicTweaks

Beans

Oh that sounds good. I migth use ubutu 12.04 because of the LTS.

But can I do it on the latest ubuntu?

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by priestnot View Post
    But can I do it on the latest ubuntu?
    Yes you can, with the same command. My understanding is this will change in 13.10 to flashback instead of being called fallback.

12.04 will be supported till 2017. All versions in between LTS releases are supported for 9 months.
    Last edited by ibjsb4; October 4th, 2013 at 03:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can do what I do everytime, which is to install gnome-tweak-tool, which pulls in the gnome desktops, both gnome-shell and gnome classic(or whatever name it goes by now).

That a-way you can manipulate settings for stuff like themes, out of the gate.
    And control shell extensions.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Mate works fine on every Ubuntu I've installed it on, which is 12.04 thru 13.10.

As far as I know, there's nothing in Mate that prevents anything already installed on Ubuntu from working. Obviously, you can't use Unity or Unity-specific tools inside Mate because Unity isn't running.

Follow the install guidance at mate-desktop.org.

Mate is the best -- only real -- option for someone looking for the classic Gnome 2 interface.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast