Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Move the taskbar?

Beans

Move the taskbar?

Dangnabit, i just installed Ubunto.
    I know its Ubuntu and all but the left sided Taskbar is seriously causing me a headache.
    The only adantage i see in this is that navigating between the menu bar and task bar is quicker cmpaired to the standard setup.

How can i change it?
    Do i have to use a thrid party App?
    If so which one is best/ recommended?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Move the taskbar?

That's the unity launcher on the left and the global menu bar at the top.

Fixed I'm afraid is the launcher. Hard coded.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

If you not happy with Unity install this:
    http://www.linuxmint.com/
    or install gnome-panel:
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/g...g-ever-changed
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans

But why o why is it so?
    Why not give the option?
    My mind twists just by the though that its there ( even if its hidden )

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rami5 View Post
    But why o why is it so?
    Why not give the option?
    I have mine on show permanently. On a widescreen monitor it's perfick. More real estate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you like the old school style install the old school style then.
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/g...g-ever-changed

Also it is the Ubuntu developers who design the system without a separate desktop option.
    They can do with their design what they want.
    We the end users can choose to use it or not.
    Ubuntu isn't the only game in town
    Click on the link in the top of the forums page for "Ubuntu Community"(in the section with quick links) to see other Ubuntu derivatives like Ubuntu-Gnome and Xubuntu.
    Last edited by deadflowr; October 3rd, 2013 at 10:01 PM. Reason: link not code tags
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Canonical is a commercial company. They want to use Ubuntu on PC, Laptop, Tablet, smartphone, ... So, it's easier to create one interface for all. So, for that is Unity the best thing they can make. One plan for the future. That's the choice of Canonical.
    Try it out. It's not your thing, change to another distro or to Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, .....
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Beans

Thanks.
    Soooo, Gnome panel and LinuX Mint seem to be third party apps, or are they extencions of sorts?
    Ill give them a whiff.

I understand, who am i to decide or dictate how the Ubunto developers should design their product, it seems like a great open source and free product.
    However, that doesnt answer my question.

Ive been a computer user, well not since i was born, but from a very early age.
    Im also using Windows and Mac OS on a dayly basis ( started using Linux a few days ago ).
    Its fine that the panel is on the left side, and i guess its somewhat fine that i cant change its possition as well ( without extencion/ third party ).

But it doesnt answer my question.
    Throughout my experience ive come to understand that having the panel at the bottom is somewhat of a standard.
    So why is the panel on the left side in Ubuntu? Surely the develpers didnt do it "just because they could", right?
    If ( and i say if ) this was the developers personal preferance, whats the sense in trying to impose this on the end users?

I just dont understand where the left sided panel comes from ( and why its locked ).
    There has to be some logical explanation or at least some kind of thought behind this right, its not just a random design descision right?
    If im designing a new car of sorts, im not going to change the possition of the gear stick to the left side of the drivers seat "just because i can".

Im not trying to hate on Ubuntu or anything, im just asking because i dont understand, and because im new to Ubunto/ Linux OS.
    Is someone could find it in them to enlighten me on this subject, it would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Recurring!
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rami5 View Post
    But why o why is it so?
    Why not give the option?

You are about two years behind the times with this opinion. When the Unity interface first came out there seemed to be options in Compiz Configuration Settings Manager to move the Launcher around the screen but they never worked and they weren't implemented.

Ubuntu developers are working on a display manager that will replace Xserver, Lightdm and Compiz. So, do not expect anything but maintenance of Compiz, the window compositor. The intention is to have a Ubuntu mobile platform for phones/tablets and a Ubuntu desktop platform but one converged Ubuntu distribution. The design of the Ubuntu user interface is part of that convergence scheme.

On a Ubuntu phone/tablet the top, bottom and right screen sides are used for phone/tablet functions. The left side is a kind of Launcher. When Ubuntu 14.10 is released these phone/tablet functions will be available on a Ubuntu desktop install. This will be especially useful if we have a touch screen monitor but they can still be used with a mouse. It is called Unity 8.

There are even plans to have Ubuntu super phones that become PCs when connected to a monitor. All this needs a converged (not the same but converged) user interface that the user is familiar with whatever device they are using.

I am guessing that all the eye candy that people go for will have to be re-thought out when Compiz is replaced by MIR.

Well, you did ask, Why?

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; October 4th, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast