Thread: Is Guitar-to-MIDI conversion an option in Rakarrack/Guitarix?

Beans

Is Guitar-to-MIDI conversion an option in Rakarrack/Guitarix?

Greetings all!

My background is in Trad and Mainstream jazz. My main instrument is electric tenor guitar, but I'd like to give it an authentic tenor banjo sound.

I spent eternities searching for some way or other to get this done: years and years and years on end, actually. But miracles do happen sometimes: a couple of days ago - looking for something entirely different - I came across Bardstown Audio. And they are offering a package of samples entitled Vintage Jazz Guitars and Tenor Banjos.

It's pretty steep in price ($199/£123.13/approx. Euro 147). But the quality Bardstown delivers is stunning, allegedly. So I ab-so-lute-ly want to have this.

Thing is, though, that I don't have experience with samples/sampling yet. I've only just taken my first jittery steps. One of the things I was informed of, however, is that I'd need a USB Guitar-to-MIDI conversion interface .

As hardware, it doesn't come cheap either. But another kind soul suggested that Rakarrack/Guitarix/or maybe both may have Guitar-to-MIDI conversion integrated. And that's what I want to ask you all about.

Is this true?

If it is, would somebody out there please be so kind to explain to me how this works? And, possibly, share what their experience was like?

As to the specs: my main platform is Ubuntu DreamStudio 12.04 LTS, AMD Athlon(tm) II P360 Dual-Core Processor × 2. Of the original 4Gb RAM 3.7 are remaining. HDD is 750Gb in total. Earlier, I was advised to go for Linux Sampler (for sampling, obviously).

I have some experience with Rakarrack. But none, so far, with Guitarix. Still, I'd like to hear about Guitarix too.

Thanks in advance for your help.

tnob
    Last edited by tnob; October 3rd, 2013 at 05:03 PM.