Thread: Thunderbird error

Beans

Thunderbird error

Hi guys i have been trying to connect to my pop3 account with no luck at all for the last few months now, i have configured all the settings as prescribed in the account preferences but i recieve a message notifying me that thunderbird could not not connect to my smtp server. my settings and port numbers are all okay but still cannot send.

i had reverted to using evolution but it also has stopped sending or recieving my mail.

help!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Thunderbird error

Quote Originally Posted by Thamsanqa_Ndlovu View Post
    i recieve a message notifying me that thunderbird could not not connect to my smtp server. my settings and port numbers are all okay but still cannot send.
    Why are you so sure that your settings are correct, as you clearly aren't connecting...? If you are sure they are correct, then it's possible that there is a firewall blocking the connection.

Have you tried using telnet to connect to your mail server's SMTP port?

Beans

Your ISP is likely blocking outbound SMTP traffic to remote machines. Call them and ask.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Who is your ISP?

Comcast recently (August) changed their outgoing mail server port numbers.

Beans

I was sending my emails for the last 4 months or so but suddenly the service stopped this past week. my mail server is mail.petrahigh.co.zw and our ISP is econet wireless zimbabwe (fibre link)