Thread: username was changed, but i did not request

Hybrid View

Beans

Question username was changed, but i did not request

hi Admin,

I have recently come back to ubuntu after a few years back in windows, macOS and android (more like spydroid if you ask me)

Anyway, I logged into my ubuntu account, reset the password and made a few posts and have just come back to check today and have found out that now I am euanbuntu2 and joined in Oct 2013 when I think you'll find I was euanbuntu and jhoined in '08 or '09.

Could my name, join date and other specifics and stats please be reverted to reflect the 'real' me?

Hoping you can help

Beans

Re: username was changed, but i did not request

I've just seen you want a link to my original account

So, here it is:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=784097

Now, what I think has happened is when I logged in after a few years of being away (4 or 5 days ago) I changed my email address from *********@gmail.com to *****@me.com, but, instead of the system updating my email it seems to have duplicated my account with another one with the name 'euanbuntu2' ... which is very strange.

I still have access to both gmail.com and me.com and even tried earlier this morning to change the email address on the one which is registered to gmail, but was told I had entered the wrong password...very strange indeed.

Please help, this is slightly anomalous and quite frustrating!

All the best

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You can't do anything to e-mail addresses on the forum atm, there is a bug which asks for password. It shouldn't do so, nor would you know the password as everyone's was randomised.

To get into your original account - set the e-mail to the forum one (gmail) as preferred at login.ubuntu.com.

Logout and log back in - you will be associated with the original account - please PM me when you've got back as you'll not be able to post in this thread.

Once you have successfully associated you can change the sso mail address to whatever you wish.

I've disassociated this account now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Elfy View Post
    You can't do anything to e-mail addresses on the forum atm, there is a bug which asks for password. It shouldn't do so, nor would you know the password as everyone's was randomised.

To get into your original account - set the e-mail to the forum one (gmail) as preferred at login.ubuntu.com.

Logout and log back in - you will be associated with the original account - please PM me when you've got back as you'll not be able to post in this thread.

Once you have successfully associated you can change the sso mail address to whatever you wish.

I've disassociated this account now.

Ok, so I tried what you've suggested but I can't add my @me.com email address to the gmail.com account because of the existence of this account.
    Do I need to delete the other sso account first? Or do I need to delete this account, and then the sso account?
    This is frustrating because I never sigened up for 2 accounts. Please help

Beans

EDIT
    Ok, so I tried what you've suggested but I can't add my *****@me.com email address to the gmail.com account (on ubuntu forums) because of the existence of the me.com account, now, becuase ubuntu forums has complicated the signup process it now means I have 2 sso accounts and I cannot add my me.com email address to my gmail.com account.

And to clarify, gmail is not my preferred email address - me.com is, I would like euanbuntu to be associated with my me.com address and not gmail.

How on earth do I do this? I am SO confused!!

Please help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You have two Ubuntu One accounts, one linked to this forum account, and using the me.com email, the other linked to the Euanbuntu account and currently using the gmail. You have managed to log into both forum accounts today using each of the Ubuntu One accounts. So you are able to log into the Euanbuntu forum account. The only problem for you is that both the Euanbuntu account and the linked Ubuntu One SSO account have the "wrong" emails for your purpose.

First - remember that once an Ubuntu One account and a forum account are linked it really doesn't matter what emails are used in them, neither do the emails have to match. Email matching is only necessary for initial linking of the two accounts to take place on first login. This is all explained in this sticky if you need more detail.

So - I suggest you use the Ubuntu One account linked to the Euanbuntu forum account to login. If you still really need the me.com email registered to that Ubuntu One account, you'll need to remove it from the other Ubuntu One account before you can use it in the Ubuntu One account you need to use. You may need to contact an Ubuntu One admin if that doesn’t work - I really don't know. We don't administer Ubuntu One. Once you've sorted out your Ubuntu One accounts, contact me by pm - you won't be able to post to this thread as Euanbuntu - and I can help you sort out the email registered to the Euanbuntu account.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Once you've sorted out your Ubuntu One accounts, contact me by pm - you won't be able to post to this thread as Euanbuntu - and I can help you sort out the email registered to the Euanbuntu account.
    Cheers for the lodown coffeecat - much appreciated, and things are a little more clear now. I'll get onto the ubuntu one peeps and come back to you as suggested. Thanks for this