Thread: Possible for avconv to reduce video dimensions by percentage?

Beans

Possible for avconv to reduce video dimensions by percentage?

Long story short, is it possible for avconv to reduce the dimensions of a video by a percent? In my case, 50% smaller.

If the original video is 1280x720, I would like the output to be 640x360.
    If the original video is 1024x768, I would like the output to be 512x384.
    ... and so on.

Is there a single generic parameter I can use that would allow me to automate the process in a script?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Possible for avconv to reduce video dimensions by percentage?

Only deal with the 2nd resolution and have your script divide by 2 then look for the closes mod-16 number. Turns out that using modulus 16 numbers is more efficient with many codec transcodes.

Or you could build a table.

I don't use avonv myself, switched to handbrakeCLI about 2 yrs ago to use the "constant quality" setting under h.264. When I was using mplayer with xvid, I scripted this stuff.

BTW, there no need to ask about options for most Linux tools. The "man page" will explain all available options. Just looked at the avconv man page - no percent resize option exists in the version that I have loaded, however, simple calculations ARE supported, including trig functions.

Beans

Re: Possible for avconv to reduce video dimensions by percentage?

You can do this with the scale video filter:

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input -vf scale=iw*0.5:-1 -codec:a copy output
    "-codec:a copy" will allow you to steam copy the audio and avoid re-encoding.

Note that my advice only applies to ffmpeg from FFmpeg, and not anything from the fork Libav, so it may not work for anything from the repository.