Thread: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 -- Wifi has trouble connecting/constantly disconnects

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 -- Wifi has trouble connecting/constantly disconnects

Copying info from askubuntu: http://askubuntu.com/questions/34344...ects-in-ubuntu

I am trying to connect to my uni's public wifi in ubuntu. After an initial attempt that is usually successful, the connection drops after a few minutes (sometimes < 1). After that future attempts to connect may or may not be successful, but after a few initial successes I find myself completely unable to connect.

I had this issue with this laptop before. I ended up buying and installing a new wifi card and (if I remember correctly) installing the proprietary drivers for it, which seemed to fix the issue. However, after reinstalling ubuntu over the summer the problem has re-surfaced, and now I can't seem to find the proprietary drivers I thought I had installed when I last had this issue.

I do not have connectivity issues in windows on this laptop, so I'm pretty sure this is a software/driver issue.

This is my wifi card's lspci entry:

03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] (rev 34)

and my lsmod: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6041598/

I tried implementing the solution mentioned here: Very slow connection on an Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN, which did not help my connectivity issues.

Also see the askubuntu thread linked at the top for some other things I've tried that didn't help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 -- Wifi has trouble connecting/constantly disconne

bump -- anyone have any ideas?

Beans

Re: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205 -- Wifi has trouble connecting/constantly disconne

Quote Originally Posted by alecbenzer View Post
    bump -- anyone have any ideas?
    It seems you have already tried almost everything possible. Only a few more things remaining -

1) As per your last pastebin on the askubuntu post, you seem to be using kernel 3.8.0-19. Try doing an update to upgrade it to the latest (3.8.0-31) and see if there's any improvement with the newer driver -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    2) Try completely disabling IPv6 by editing your /etc/sysctl.conf file.

3) Try adding yet another parameter to your /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf file - "bt_coex_active=N"
    Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/^options.*/& bt_coex_active=N/' /etc/modpeobe.d/iwlwifi.conf
    sudo modprobe -rv iwldvm
    sudo modprobe -v iwldvm
    4) Have you also tried the connection on a Live CD/USB? Sometimes, too much customization also causes negative effects.

5) Was the power-management set to "Off" by default on wlan0 (in iwconfig)? The custom script you have in /etc/pm/power.d/wireless, seems to meant for that purpose, but it also disables the default script in /usr/lib/pm-utils/power.d/ directory. So unless it clearly helped it, you should try moving (or removing) that custom script -
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/pm/power.d/wireless ~/Desktop
    After trying these, if there is still speed drop, connection freeze issue, please run the wireless script again, and post back the fresh report here. Along with the report, please also post the output of -
    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    sudo iwpriv wlan0
    grep -iR [0-9a-z] /sys/module/iwlwifi/parameters/
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags