Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fillscreen YouTube=high Xorg cpu load

Beans

Fillscreen YouTube=high Xorg cpu load

I'm having problems with Youtube and some other stuff lately. Fullscreen videos are stuttering/freezing, I guess theres a problem with my Xorg process:

http://ubuntuone.com/6oEf3PVMt8DofYCO2CyPnH -Normal
    http://ubuntuone.com/45pEIWd2THZWwqQpuA4W6C -After exiting fullscreen
    http://ubuntuone.com/1QjvmR1nsaXvPiH0gzgkMQ -When browsing launchpad.net

Is it corrupted driver data or something?

I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 32bit on:
    Core 2 Duo e8400 3.00GHz
    GF 9600gt 512MB with 313 update driver
    4GB RAM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Fillscreen YouTube=high Xorg cpu load

Likely a driver issue. Have you tried the nouveau (open source) driver? If so, what result?

BTW, not necessary to post further screenshots (they take up lots of bandwidth). Just CPU usage will do.

Beans

Well its a bit less choppy with this driver, xorg is at ~26% and FF's plugin container went up to 43% for some reason. I did a fresh installations 2 times today but the videos are still choppy. Its the same in chromium browser... Everything was ok like 2 days ago.
    Last edited by KzKs3JF; October 2nd, 2013 at 10:01 PM.

Beans

Hmm... HTML5 videos are working perfectly fine. I think it has something to do with flash and xorg.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have some laptops with very similar specs. Your video card is actually superior to the chip in my boxes, so Ubuntu should run nicely with the right driver.

We already see that your initial problem was a driver issue. The nouveau driver (I assume you are referring to nouveau when you say "this driver") has decreased CPU load significantly. Being open-source, it is not optimized for nVidia video (this may get me into trouble with some posters), so finding the right proprietary driver will hopefully push you over the hump and yield quite acceptable performance.

I see that you have re-installed 2 times already. While I feel badly for you that you are going through all of this work, at least you don't seem to be fazed by the prospect, so I would recommend one further install based on the following: unless you have a reason for sticking with 32-bit, I would encourage you to go to 64-bit Ubuntu. I suspect that most future development will be directed to the OS of the future rather than the OS of the past. Your system should run a 64-bit OS with no problems, and there is even a remote chance that this alone may be enough to increase video performance.

So, if you are game, please install 64-bit and tell us what performance you get afterwards (it will be called amd64 on the download site--don't let the "amd" fool you--it works on Intel without problems). I predict that you won't see much improvement, but first things first. After 64-bit is installed on your system with default open-source drivers, we can proceed step by step to installing the proprietary driver (there are a number of them).

Beans

Ok so now I'm running 64bit 13.04 and the problem still persists(on the default Nouveau driver). Nothing has been Installed exept for the updates. Sould I Install the 313 driver or the older ones first(173,304,304-updates,310,310-updates)? =/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Since previous issue was 313 driver, I would try older ones first. Just a flying stab, but 304 is what I have installed.

Beans

Welp its a tad bit better but still choppy. Guess its time for 310 xD

Beans

Nope, still the same. Tested them all and the videos are the same on every single driver.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Be prepared to have to re-install. My experience with switching proprietary drivers was that after two or three changes, the video subsystem became so unstable that I would go to black screen.

Last but not least, I just noticed that your card is a 9600GT, not 9600M GT. So it's based on technology almost 6 years old. Didn't register in my brain before. It is possible that even optimized performance will not yield insanely good results. Let's cross that bridge when we come to it. For now, tell us what resolution monitor you are running. You can also try invoking nVidia settings to see if you can fine-tune the card to work more smoothly.

Edit

Just got ninja'd by your last post.

/Edit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast