Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wi-Fi is disabled by hardware switch - HP Pavilion

Beans

Wi-Fi is disabled by hardware switch - HP Pavilion

Hello, I just installed ubuntu 13.04 yesterday on my HP Pavilion m7 (dual-booting with Windows 8), and I haven't been able to connect to wireless in ubuntu since. I know this is a common problem in the forums, but I've been at it for a day without any luck, so I figured I might need some more specific help.
    The network menu says "Wi-Fi is disabled by hardware switch." I have a wireless hardware switch on my f12 key, which lights up orange when it's turned off, and white when it's on. When I boot into Windows it lights up white by itself and wireless works fine, but going into ubuntu just stays orange. Pressing the button has no response in ubuntu.
    I tried rfkill list all in terminal and here are the results:

0: phy0: Wireless LAN
    Soft blocked: no
    Hard blocked: yes

Rfkill unblock all has no effect either. I've also tried various things on the forums but none of them seem to do anything so far. Please help!

Thank you,
    Mitch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wi-Fi is disabled by hardware switch - HP Pavilion

Welcome to the forums Mitch !

Sometimes the hardware switch problem may also be an indication that you don't have the required driver loaded for your card. To let us see the wireless card and version of the kernel, please post back the outputs of -
    Code:
    uname -mr
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    While posting the outputs, please use the 'Code' box. It preserves its formatting and makes your post cleaner, compact and more readable. Follow the "Using Code Tags" link in my signature to see how.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When using Windows do you switch wireless off and then shutdown Windows? Sometimes, so I have read, this prevents wireless from working in Ubuntu because Ubuntu does not have any mechanism for over-riding that switch off by Windows. I think we need the wireless adapter to be switched on and working before we load Ubuntu.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks for the replies!
    Here's the output.
    Code:
    mitch@:~$ uname -mr
    3.8.0-31-generic x86_64
    mitch@:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Ralink corp. Device [1814:539a]
    	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:1839]
    	Kernel driver in use: rt2800pci
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 07)
    	Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:1818]
    	Kernel driver in use: r8169
    I never manually switch off wireless in Windows. However, every time I boot up the switch is orange until some point in the Windows boot. It just stays orange if I choose to boot into ubuntu.

Beans

Hey guys, just discovered something strange.

When I unplugged my ethernet cable and suspended my computer, then opened it back up the wifi was magically working just fine! I rebooted to see if it would stay on, and it didn't. However, I replicated the process and found that it works every time I suspend and then open back up.
    I'm glad I have some sort of wireless connection, but I would rather not have to suspend every time I want to use wifi. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell_Herndon View Post
    found that it works every time I suspend and then open back up.....Any ideas?
    Oh no, not in HP please ! First Acer, then Asus, now in HP too?? What is going on here.. (asking to myself) (and to the developers)

I may have *some* idea, but is really very vague and possibly misleading. It *may* become clearer with some more info.

Does the hardware switch (Fn+<whatever>) work if you keep the Ethernet cable unplugged all the while? Some BIOS (especially some HP models) have a setting to automatically disable wifi if an Ethernet connection is detected. So try a few reboots without the cable plugged in, and check the BIOS to see if you can find such setting (if you can, there should be option to turn this 'feature' off).

Also, don't trust what is marked on those F1....F12 keys. Although it's been a long time now, we have had threads where it turned out to be a different key for wifi than what is marked as such. For example, despite F12 having the wifi symbol, sometimes F5 or F9 (just examples) may work as hardware switch for wifi. This was especially reported with HP/Compaq laptops.

These keys may behave differently in Windows (do what they are marked as), but in Linux, they got crazy in some models (most probably due to incompatibility with the WMI driver). One more of this craziness is - on some models (I've personally witnessed this more than once), the F1....F12 keys perform their primary function when pressed in combination with Fn key, while the secondary function without it (by default it should be opposite of this). So if you think Fn+F12 is the key for wifi, try F12 alone (without Fn).

Fortunate you are that you don't have one of those "touch-type" hardware switches that HP proudly features, otherwise one of my suggestions would have included - "take a sledge hammer and....." (okay, let's leave this one alone).

Please so some experiments as suggested above (except the sledge hammer) and when you are confident that your model does not suffer any of such bugs, please follow the "Wireless Script" link in my signature, download and run the script as per instructions there, and post back the report it generates. That should be able to give us more clue on the software part.
    Varun

Beans

Did a few experiments, and ended up pretty confident that none of those bugs are relevant to my problem. I ran the script you suggested, here are the results:

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/6194240/

Beans
    Distro

The NetworkManager.conf block is empty? Did you manually remove the block (nothing sensitive is there), or does it not exist in your system at all?

Please check if it exists, and post back the output if it does -
    Code:
    cat /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
    Although I don't think it can cause or affect the "hard block" state, it not being there is strange.

Also, please download an alternate version of the wireless_script from the bottom link of the same post linked in my signature, and run it after a fresh reboot, when the wifi seems to be soft-blocked. The current report is from when it is enabled. I also need to see the state when it is hard-blocked after a fresh boot, and the alternate script is a little more verbose.
    Varun

Beans

I removed NetworkManager.conf yesterday while trying to solve the problem. Apparently for one person, removing it and then doing the rfkill unblock all command solved his problem, although it didn't seem to affect anything for me.
    Wifi was never in a soft-blocked state, but here's the output while hard-blocked after a fresh boot:
    http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/6194434/

Beans
    Distro

Sorry to bother you again with (almost) the same thing, but you used the same script again, and the result contains even less information (naturally, since it is from a fresh boot with lesser activity).

Please download and run this one instead : http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/q...ireless_script

It covers *slightly* more info, especially in the dmesg and lsmod parts. Those are the areas where I expect to get some useful hints. So far we have none. I could ask you for outputs of specific commands, but running the script is just as easy (you already know that) and the output is more comprehensive.

Let's hope it give us something significant.
    Varun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast